What is the momentum and velocity of each ball after hit?

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a 3.50 kg ball traveling at 10.00 m/s and a stationary 5.00 kg ball. After the collision, the first ball travels at a 42.6 degree angle from its original path, while the second ball travels at a -26.7 degree angle from the other ball's original path. The questions ask for the momentum and velocity of each ball after the collision. To solve the problem, conservation of momentum equations are used, taking into account the angles of the ball's paths. The correct answers are -1.76 m/s and 8.24 m/s for the velocities and 35.00
j doe

Homework Statement

A 3.50 kg ball with a velocity of 10.00 m/s collides with a stationary ball with a mass of 5.00 kg. After the collision, the first ball travels at a 42.6 degree angle from its original path, while the second ball travels at a -26.7 degree angle from the other ball's original path.

1) What is the momentum of each ball after the collision?

2) What is the velocity of each ball after the collision?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got -1.76 m/s for the first ball and 8.24 m/s for the second ball. am i correct? and for momentum both of the balls will have a momentum of 35.00 Ns?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your working. Otherwise there's no way for anybody to say whether you're correct without having to do the whole problem for themselves.

andrewkirk said:
Show your working. Otherwise there's no way for anybody to say whether you're correct without having to do the whole problem for themselves.
for the first ball i did [(3.50kg-5.00kg)(10.00m/s)] / (3.50kg+5.00kg) = -1.76 m/s and for the second ball i did [2(3.50kg)(10.00m/s)] / (3.50kg+5.00kg) = 8.24 m/s. for momentum i did p = (3.50kg)(10.00m/s)

You don't appear to have used the angles at all. You need to use them to get the correct answer.

Split each momentum vector into two components, one parallel to the direction of motion of the first ball (call that the ##x## direction) and the other perpendicular to it, but in the same plane as all momentum vectors before and after the collision (call that the ##y## direction).

Let ##u## and ##v## be the speeds of the large and small balls after the collision. Then write equations that specify conservation of momentum in the ##x## and ##y## directions. You will have two equations, and two unknowns, so you can solve.

andrewkirk said:
You don't appear to have used the angles at all. You need to use them to get the correct answer.

Split each momentum vector into two components, one parallel to the direction of motion of the first ball (call that the ##x## direction) and the other perpendicular to it, but in the same plane as all momentum vectors before and after the collision (call that the ##y## direction).

Let ##u## and ##v## be the speeds of the large and small balls after the collision. Then write equations that specify conservation of momentum in the ##x## and ##y## directions. You will have two equations, and two unknowns, so you can solve.
i'm still really confused on which two equations to use. could you please tell me and i'll try to solve it out from there?

j doe said:
i'm still really confused on which two equations to use. could you please tell me and i'll try to solve it out from there?

Are you really having to invent this material all by yourself? Your textbook has no examples like it? Your course notes do not do anything like it?

Ray Vickson said:
Are you really having to invent this material all by yourself? Your textbook has no examples like it? Your course notes do not do anything like it?
nope

Related to What is the momentum and velocity of each ball after hit?

1. What is the difference between momentum and velocity?

Momentum refers to the quantity of motion possessed by an object, while velocity is the measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In other words, momentum takes into account both the mass and speed of an object, while velocity only considers the speed.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. Does the mass of the balls affect their momentum?

Yes, the mass of an object directly affects its momentum. Objects with larger masses will have a greater momentum than objects with smaller masses, assuming they are traveling at the same velocity.

4. Can the momentum of a ball change after it is hit?

Yes, the momentum of a ball can change after it is hit. This is because the velocity of the ball can change, and as velocity is a component of momentum, the overall momentum will also change.

5. How does the angle of impact affect the momentum and velocity of a ball?

The angle of impact can affect both the momentum and velocity of a ball after it is hit. If the angle is perpendicular to the direction of motion, the momentum and velocity will remain the same. However, if the angle is at an angle to the direction of motion, the momentum and velocity will change, with the change in momentum being greater than the change in velocity.