What is the linear velocity of a point on a swinging rod before it hits a wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the linear velocity of point P on a rod before it hits a wall, given the rod's mass and length. It is suggested to use the formula KE=1/2*I*ω^2, where I is the momentum-of-inertial and ω is the angular velocity.
T-Rent

Homework Statement

If you suddenly cut the string, the rod will swing down. Find the linear velocity (V) of
the point P just before the rod hits the wall (the momentum-of-inertial I=(1/3)ML^2 if the rod rotates about the end point Q. L is the rod length and M is the rod mass).

The rod has a mass of 1kg.

A link to the picture
http://pictureserver.bravehost.com/problem_5.jpeg

Homework Equations

I=(1/3)ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the tension on the string and the force at point Q.(.433kg and .375kg respectively).

For the linear velocity can I just find the center of mass (0.5m), treat it like a particle attached to a massless string and use v=sqrt(2*g*h)?
Or is my logic totally flawed? Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi T-Rent! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
T-Rent said:
For the linear velocity can I just find the center of mass (0.5m), treat it like a particle attached to a massless string and use v=sqrt(2*g*h)?
Or is my logic totally flawed?

Yes.

You need to use the rotational formula for kinetic energy

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm having some trouble understanding this one. So my KE=1/2*I*W2. What would my W (angular velocity) be?

Hi T-Rent! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

That's for you to find out, from conservation of energy. :smile:

So, let's give this a shot.

PE=mg(L/2)=5J
Rotational KE=1/2*I*ώ2
I=1/3*M*L^2=1/3kg*m2
So solving for ώ gets me 5.46 rad/s which is the same in m/s because my L and radius is 1m.

Does this seem right?

Last edited:
Looks good! :smile:

Related to What is the linear velocity of a point on a swinging rod before it hits a wall?

1. What is linear velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position along a straight line. It is also known as the speed of an object in a specific direction.

2. How is linear velocity calculated?

Linear velocity is calculated by dividing the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for linear velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What units are used to measure linear velocity?

Linear velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. What is the difference between linear velocity and angular velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position along a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position around a fixed axis. In other words, linear velocity describes the speed of an object's linear motion, while angular velocity describes the speed of an object's rotational motion.

5. How is linear velocity used in real life?

Linear velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of vehicles and sports equipment. It is also important in physics and engineering for understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior. Additionally, concepts like linear velocity are used in everyday activities, such as driving a car or riding a bike.