What is the largest real number one can write within 200 characters?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contest
In summary: Edit: I see someone has edited the post - note I wasn't sure if the Knuth's notation counts as standard, so I have not used all possible up arrows, leaving place for the "Knuth's notation" name. If if counts as standard, then obviously there should be 198 up arrows.Well keeping in line with the above post, just do this:x!, x is Graham's number.That would be taking Graham's number factorial 176 times.Well keeping in line with the above post, just do this:x!, x is Graham's number.That would be taking Graham's number factorial 176 times.
Ben Niehoff said:
The product of the factorials of (the absolute values of) all the numbers that will be posted, then. :D
So I'll post ## \infty ##!:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
A(G,G),

where A is the Ackermann function and G is Graham's number.

Ben Niehoff said:
A(G,G),

where A is the Ackermann function and G is Graham's number.

Why stop there?
A(A(G,G),A(G,G))
is only 16 characters. If you include definitions...
A=Ackermann function
G=Gram's number
A(A(G,G),A(G,G))
Now it's still only up to 51, so, by expanding on the same idea and being slightly more concise with the explanation you can get...
Ackermann function
Gram's number
G↑↑A(A(A(A(A(A(G,G),A(G,G)),A(A(G,G),A(G,G))),A(A(A(G,G),A(G,G)),A(A(G,G),A(G,G)))),A(A(A(A(G,G),A(G,G)),A(A(G,G),A(G,G))),A(A(A(G,G),A(G,G)),A(A(G,G),A(G,G))))),A(G,G))
Which by my count comes to 200 characters, including spaces.

Last edited:
Likes micromass
Or...
Ackermann function
Gram's number
B(n,x)=A performed recursively n times with arguments x. I.E. B(2,3)=A(A(3,3),A(3,3))
C(n,x)=B performed recursively n times with arguments x.
C(C(G,G),C(G,G))

Likes micromass
Code:
f(x)=10^x!
f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

ChrisVer said:
Code:
f(x)=10^x!
f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(f(9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

This is still dwarfed by Grahams number though...

micromass said:
This is still dwarfed by Grahams number though...
maybe... I haven't seen that number...
But if it's big I could try to put it in the f(f(...f(f(G))...)), and in place of 10 in 10^x! : G^x!

[itex]G^G[/itex]↑[itex]G^G[/itex][itex]G^G[/itex], where G is Graham's number.

micromass said:
I'm afraid that doesn't beat the hugeness of the Ackerman function. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_function
Indeed. So I looked at mrspeedybob's post and cut a few characters out so I could fit in exponents for the arguments of C. Microsoft Word says it's 200 characters exactly including spaces:

Ackermann func.
Graham's #
B(n,x)=A performed recursively n times with args x. I.E. B(2,3)=A(A(3,3),A(3,3))
C(n,x)=B performed recursively n times with args x.
C(C(GC(G,G),GC(G,G)),C(GC(G,G),GC(G,G)))

Likes mrspeedybob

As I think most of the universe is empty space, 0 pretty much sums it all up.
This is probably incorrect on many levels, but I like the idea.

-1/12

Likes Ben Niehoff
∞-1

rootone said:
∞-1

In which number system are you working when you say ##\infty## ?

nolxiii said:

also, to clarify, this number is not written in base ten but in some much larger base size

nolxiii said:
also, to clarify, this number is not written in base ten but in some much larger base size

Then you need to specify the base in your description.

micromass said:
In which number system are you working when you say ##\infty## ?
Lets say binary for simplicity, although I do realize that that a computer memory containing the number would require an infinite number of bits.

no one else specified their base size

nolxiii said:
no one else specified their base size

Do we really need to specify that 100% of humans nowadays work standard in base 10?

rootone said:
Lets say binary for simplicity, although I do realize that that a computer memory containing the number would require an infinite number of bits.

But ##\infty## is not a real number. So what kind of number is it? How is it defined?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Dembadon, CynicusRex and micromass
what would happen in case I write:
Code:
lim_[n ->0] 1/n^2
??

ChrisVer said:
what would happen in case I write:
Code:
lim_[n ->0] 1/n^2
??

Not a real number.

micromass said:
Not a real number.

really?

ChrisVer said:
really?

What real number would be the answer?

Code:
let G = graham's #
let ☺ mean G ↑'s in knuth notation
let ☻ mean G ☺'s
base G
13☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻☻13

edit: well i guess we already kinda went there on page 1, but i'll keep my notation

Last edited:
If the subscript notation used in describing Gram's number is considered standard much larger numbers then Grams should be easily constructed thus...
ggn recursive subscriptsn
Now you are left with describing the largest possible n with the remaining of the 200 characters.
This is just 1 example though of a rapidly increasing function recursed a large number of times, it may not be the best one to use.

More broadly, I think this will essentially come down to the most clever method of unambiguously describing 2 things...
1. The most rapidly increasing function
2. Vast numbers of recursions.
I'm sure someone has better ideas on how to approach both of those problems then I do, though they seem like they might be the same problem.

Likes micromass and Dembadon
Time to come clean. I made this thread because I read a very interesting article about big numbers. It seems in this thread, many found their way to Graham's number and Ackermann function. But there is a function which increase even faster than those: the busy beaver function. Check it out:

http://www.scottaaronson.com/writings/bignumbers.html

Likes Samy_A and Dembadon
micromass said:
Time to come clean. I made this thread because I read a very interesting article about big numbers. It seems in this thread, many found their way to Graham's number and Ackermann function. But there is a function which increase even faster than those: the busy beaver function. Check it out:

http://www.scottaaronson.com/writings/bignumbers.html
I really liked this part:
Could early intervention mitigate our big number phobia? What if second-grade math teachers took an hour-long hiatus from stultifying busywork to ask their students, "How do you name really, really big numbers?" And then told them about exponentials and stacked exponentials, tetration and the Ackermann sequence, maybe even Busy Beavers: a cornucopia of numbers vaster than any they’d ever conceived, and ideas stretching the bounds of their imaginations.
So it seems a very large number can use the BB function with BB(G) recursions? I know there is a more elegant and rigorous way to write it, but I don't think I'm clever enough.

googol, period

TheQuietOne said:
googol, period
Even a googolplex is very very very small compared to graham's number.

ChrisVer said:
really?
yeah, suppose ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} 1/x^2=b##. A theorem says that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = c## if and only if for every sequence ##x_n## which converges to ##a##, the sequence ##f(x_n)## converges to ##c##. So take the sequence ##\{1/n\}_{n \in \mathbb{N}}##, this sequence converges to 0, but ##f(1/n)=n^2## for ##f(x) = 1/x^2##. This sequence does not converge to any real number, so it won't converge to ##b##.

TheQuietOne said:
googol, period

Graham's number is so much bigger than googol, that it is impossible to write down Graham's number in exponential form if you could write a trillion numbers on every atom in the universe and you had one hundred trillion universes. Meanwhile, googol is just ##10^{100}##.