What is the Initial Angular Acceleration of a Pivoted Rod with Hanging Masses?

In summary, the rod experiences an angular acceleration of 1.2 rad/s^2 when released from a horizontal starting position.
chowyo123
A rod of length 2.4 m is pivoted at its center and masses of 2.3 kg and 3.1 kg are hung from its two ends. Find the initial angular acceleration of the rod when the system is released from a starting position of the rod that is horizontal.

The radius of the rod would be r=1/2(2.4).. which is 1.2.

Should I use the equation I=mr^2 or I=1/12ml^2? I=mr^2 is I=(2.3)(1.2)^2=3.312 and I=(3.1)(1.2)^2=4.464. I=1/12ml^2 is I=1/12(2.3)(2.4)^2=1.104 and I=1/12(3.1)(2.4)^2=1.488. Do i even need these for this problem?

Where do i go next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion: [tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex], where I is the total rotational inertia.

What's the mass of the rod?

I=(2.3)(1.2)^2= 3.312
I=(3.1)(1.2)^2= 4.464

3.312+4.464= 7.776. = I..

is this right so far?

Is the rod assumed to be massless? It looks like you are on the right track, and now find the torque. I'd suggest, this time, doing all the algebra before you put in the numbers.

The problem doesn't state the mass of the rod, just the masses on both ends.
How do i find the torque if I've only got the inertia?

The torque is caused by the weight of the hanging masses. Use the usual formula for finding torque.

Yeah, the usual formula of [tex]\tau_\textit{net} = FR_1 + FR_2[/tex] where the force would be the force of gravity and r the distance from the pivot to the perpindicular force (half the length of the rod).

Last edited:
so Tnet = (9.8 x 2.3)(1.2)+(9.8 x 3.1)(1.2)?

Tnet=F(m*a)R1+F(m*a)R2?

Last edited:
One torque is clockwise; one counter-clockwise. They have different signs.

so [tex]\tau_\textit{net} = FR_1 + FR_2[/tex] was not right?

chowyo123 said:
so [tex]\tau_\textit{net} = FR_1 + FR_2[/tex] was not right?

Yes, but you need to change the signs:

[tex]\tau_\textit{net} = F_1R_1 - F_2R_2[/tex]

You have to subtract the torque caused by the lesser mass because it works in the opposite direction (like Doc said).

I added the subscripts to F because they're two different forces.

So:
Tnet = (9.8 x 3.1)(1.2)-(9.8 x 2.3)(1.2)= 9.408? What's next?

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]\ 9.408=7.776\alpha[/tex] ??

Last edited:
Well, yeah, it was plus a negative torque, which you could just write as minus.

Yes, that should give the right answer when you divide.

angular acceleration= 1.2 rad/s^2

Yeah, depending on what convention they wanted you to use for positive or negative torque then the sign will be different. But, it doesn't look like they ever told you what weight was on which end, so you are probably fine.

ok, thanks for the help, I appreciate it much.

Related to What is the Initial Angular Acceleration of a Pivoted Rod with Hanging Masses?

1. What is initial angular acceleration?

Initial angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time at the beginning of its motion. It is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating when it first starts to move.

2. How is initial angular acceleration different from angular acceleration?

Initial angular acceleration is the angular acceleration at the beginning of an object's motion, while angular acceleration is the rate at which angular velocity changes over time at any point during an object's motion.

3. What factors affect initial angular acceleration?

The main factors that affect initial angular acceleration are the object's moment of inertia, the net torque acting on the object, and the object's initial angular velocity.

4. Can initial angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, initial angular acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down its rotational motion at the beginning of its motion.

5. How is initial angular acceleration calculated?

Initial angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the initial angular velocity by the time it takes for the object to reach that velocity. It can also be calculated by dividing the net torque acting on the object by its moment of inertia.