What is the importance of using proper language in teaching science?

• Thread starter Pallavi
  • Start date
In summary, the scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions and solve problems. It helps to clear doubts by providing a structured and objective way to test ideas and theories. Scientists determine the validity of studies or experiments by following the principles of the scientific method and relying on peer review. Evidence plays a crucial role in clearing doubts as it supports or refutes a hypothesis. Conflicting evidence is addressed by conducting more experiments, using different methods, and seeking input from other scientists. The public can differentiate between scientific facts and opinions by looking for reliable sources and understanding the scientific method.
Pallavi
Hello there,
My intention behind joining this forum was to ask some doubts that may help me academically as I am a science student. I would also like to learn more on this platform.
With regards.
Pallavi

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Just FYI, "doubt" does not mean what you think it means. You mean "question", not doubt.
Yes, but it's a common enough translation that we have learned to live with it. :wink:

@Pallavi -- Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Likes S.G. Janssens
phinds said:
Hey, Pallavi, welcome to the forum.

Just FYI, "doubt" does not mean what you think it means. You mean "question", not doubt.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=607274
"doubts" in the subject line is correct usage, nonetheless.

"Ask some doubts" could well be local idiom resulting from a misheard "air some doubts".

Likes S.G. Janssens and berkeman
berkeman said:
Yes, but it's a common enough translation that we have learned to live with it. :wink:
Yeah I know, and I generally bite my tongue but being the grammar Nazi that I am, I am not always able to restrain myself :smile:

grammar-police-badge.png

@Pallavi, all this wrangling about a word is trivial compared to the excellence you will find here on PF. Again, welcome to the forum.

Attachments

• grammar-police-badge.png
    grammar-police-badge.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 449
Likes Pallavi and berkeman
LOL :smile:

When you "doubt" something, you are stating that you don't believe or don't trust.

When you have a "question" you are wanting an answer or information.

It's obvious that the OP meant question. We all know that in India they are incorrectly teaching students to use doubt instead of question. There was a link given in another thread to the (reddit, I believe) discussion that linked to the actual textbook that showed the inaccurate translation and the refusal to correct it. I think it is helpful that we correct people's English, as long as it is done in a friendly, helpful manner. It can only benefit them.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G, Charles Link and Bystander
phinds said:
Yeah I know, and I generally bite my tongue but being the grammar Nazi that I am, I am not always able to restrain myself :smile:

View attachment 233027

@Pallavi, all this wrangling about a word is trivial compared to the excellence you will find here on PF. Again, welcome to the forum.
Well I would just like to ask for some help.
Anyways thanks for correcting me.I know my English is really bad.Actually bad is an understatement.But in our school we refer to every question that arises in our mind regarding the subject as doubts so I just ended up asking the same thing.
Regards,
Pallavi.:smile:

Pallavi said:
I know my English is really bad
Pallavi, this is a science forum. You are not supposed to make false statements :smile:

Your English seems quite good to me.

Evo said:
When you "doubt" something, you are stating that you don't believe or don't trust.

When you have a "question" you are wanting an answer or information.

It's obvious that the OP meant question. We all know that in India they are incorrectly teaching students to use doubt instead of question. There was a link given in another thread to the (reddit, I believe) discussion that linked to the actual textbook that showed the inaccurate translation and the refusal to correct it. I think it is helpful that we correct people's English, as long as it is done in a friendly, helpful manner. It can only benefit them.

I understand your point but the opinion that in India they are not using proper English to teach is a little rude according to me. Please make sure that whatever you post does not hurt anybody.

Likes Tom.G and S.G. Janssens
phinds said:
Pallavi, this is a science forum. You are not supposed to make false statements :smile:

Your English seems quite good to me.
Thank you.:smile:

Likes berkeman
Pallavi said:
I understand your point but the opinion that in India they are not using proper English to teach is a little rude according to me. Please make sure that whatever you post does not hurt anybody.
Pallavi, to repeat what I said in the previous post, this is a science forum. Factual statements are not intended to be "hurtful" and if they are, that is in the eye of the beholder, not something intended. It IS a fact that it's incorrect to teach that "doubt" means "question"

I think it's time to close this thread. Each party has made their point well. :smile:

Pallavi said:
If we were afraid that anything we said to help correct something someone here was doing wrong, (we try to help students learn here), we would never post anything.

As long as something is posted without being mean or using harsh words, then you should take it as it is intended, as being helpful. That is another beneficial lesson you should learn if you wish to work well with others. I am sorry you were offended, but no offense was intended.

Likes Charles Link

Related to What is the importance of using proper language in teaching science?

1. What is the scientific method and how does it help to clear doubts?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions and solve problems. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This method helps to clear doubts by providing a structured and objective way to test ideas and theories.

2. How do scientists determine if a study or experiment is valid?

Scientists determine the validity of a study or experiment by following the principles of the scientific method. This includes ensuring that the study is based on a clear hypothesis, using appropriate research methods, collecting reliable and unbiased data, and analyzing the results objectively. Peer review by other scientists also helps to validate the findings.

3. What is the role of evidence in clearing doubts?

Evidence is crucial in clearing doubts as it provides support for or against a hypothesis or claim. Scientists gather evidence through experiments, observations, and data analysis. The more evidence that supports a hypothesis, the more likely it is to be accepted as true.

4. How do scientists deal with conflicting evidence?

Conflicting evidence is common in science, and scientists use various methods to address it. This includes conducting more experiments, using different research methods, and seeking input from other scientists. In some cases, conflicting evidence may lead to the modification or rejection of a hypothesis.

5. How can the public differentiate between scientific facts and opinions?

Scientific facts are based on evidence and can be proven through experiments and observations. They are objective and can be replicated by other scientists. Opinions, on the other hand, are personal beliefs or judgments that may not be supported by evidence. The best way for the public to differentiate between the two is to look for reliable sources, such as peer-reviewed scientific journals, and to understand the scientific method.