What is the Higgs field and its role in understanding the universe?

• Thread starter riderpaul
  • Start date
In summary, the Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that explains the origin of mass in the universe. It is a field that permeates all of space and interacts with particles, giving them mass. The discovery of the Higgs boson by the Large Hadron Collider in 2012 provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field and furthered our understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe. The Higgs field is crucial in explaining the existence of matter and the formation of structures in the universe, such as galaxies and stars. Without the Higgs field, the universe as we know it would not exist.
riderpaul
How did you find PF?
Google search
I'm very excited about the photos from the Solar Orbiter and the science coming from that and I can hardly wait until we put people on the moon again. I remember watching the Apollo moon landings and it has been way too long. There is so much exploring to do and I feel like the next ten years are going to be very exciting. The Higgs field is maybe the strangest thing of them all. Well, that and gravity.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome: