What is the force on a wire in a magnetic field?

In summary, the force per meter on a wire carrying a 9.80-A current when perpendicular to a 0.80-T magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the size of the magnetic field. When the angle between the wire and the field is 45°, the force can be calculated using the formula F = ILB sin θ.
-_-'
Question: 1. a) what is the force per meter on a wire carrying a 9.80-A current when perpendicular to a 0.80-T magnetic field? b) What if the angle between the wire and the field is 45°?

For part a) I know that F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire and B is the size of the magnetic field.

Therefore F = 9.80 x L x 0.80
= 7.84 x L

But how can you work out the force when you don’t know what L is?

For part b) I know that F = ILB sin θ

I’m not sure how to approach the problem other than what I have expressed. Any help you can offer will be great...thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
-_-' said:
Question: 1. a) what is the force per meter on a wire carrying a 9.80-A current when perpendicular to a 0.80-T magnetic field? b) What if the angle between the wire and the field is 45°?

For part a) I know that F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire and B is the size of the magnetic field.

Therefore F = 9.80 x L x 0.80
= 7.84 x L

But how can you work out the force when you don’t know what L is?
The clue is in the question :wink:

oh yeh! Thanks so much! :D

-_-' said:
oh yeh! Thanks so much! :D
My pleasure :smile:

Related to What is the force on a wire in a magnetic field?

1. What are magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are areas around a magnet or a current-carrying wire where a magnetic force is exerted on other objects. They are invisible but can be detected using a compass or other magnetic tools.

2. How are magnetic fields and electric currents related?

Magnetic fields are created by the flow of electric currents. Moving electric charges generate magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces its own magnetic field, while an electromagnet is a coil of wire with an electric current running through it, which can create a magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be changed by adjusting the amount of current flowing through it, while a permanent magnet has a fixed strength.

4. How do magnetic fields affect charged particles?

Charged particles, such as electrons, are affected by magnetic fields and can be deflected from their original path. The direction of the deflection depends on the charge and velocity of the particle, as well as the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic fields and currents?

Magnetic fields and currents have many real-world applications, including electric motors, generators, transformers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday devices such as speakers, hard drives, and credit cards.