What is the net force on the current loop?

Meow12
Homework Statement
A rectangular current loop carrying ##10A## is near a long wire carrying
##5A## with the geometry indicated in the figure. What is the magnitude and direction of the net force on the current loop?
Relevant Equations
##\vec B=-\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi x}## into the page

##\vec{F}=\int I\vec{dl}\times\vec{B}##
Current.png

The long wire carrying ##5A## current causes a non-uniform magnetic field whose formula is known. I calculated the force exerted by this magnetic field on each of the four sides of the rectangular loop and summed them up. I got the right answer, but a question is nagging me---doesn't the loop carrying ##10 A## current also create a magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

It certainly does. But what about the net force it causes on the current loop ?

##\ ##

Likes Meow12
BvU said:
Hi,

It certainly does. But what about the net force it causes on the current loop ?

##\ ##
Is it zero? Because an object can never exert a net force on itself?

It is zero. I'm not so certain about the why (I can stand up from a sitting position...).

##\ ##

Likes Meow12
Meow12 said:
I got the right answer, but a question is nagging me---doesn't the loop carrying ##10 A## current also create a magnetic field?
It sure does and you can use Biot-Savart to find what it is at an arbitrary point in space. Why is that nagging you?

Likes Meow12
kuruman said:
It sure does and you can use Biot-Savart to find what it is at an arbitrary point in space. Why is that nagging you?
I had thought that a side of the rectangular loop may experience forces due to the magnetic fields created by the other three sides of the loop. But I think these internal forces will cancel.

Right. However, all four sides of the loop exert magnetic forces on the long wire and you can easily figure out the net force on the long wire due to the current loop.

Likes Meow12
BvU said:
It is zero. I'm not so certain about the why (I can stand up from a sitting position...).
Try pulling up on your collar and see if you can stand up from a sitting position. :oldsmile:

Likes BvU and Meow12
BvU said:
Although not by exerting a net force on yourself (it is by exerting a force larger than your weight on the chair).

Likes BvU, Meow12 and SammyS

What is the net force on the current loop?

The net force on a current loop is the result of the magnetic field acting on the current flowing through the loop. This force is responsible for the rotation or translation of the loop in a magnetic field.

How is the direction of the net force determined on a current loop?

The direction of the net force on a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the current flow in the loop and your thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field, then your palm will point in the direction of the net force on the loop.

What factors affect the magnitude of the net force on a current loop?

The magnitude of the net force on a current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the loop, and the size and orientation of the loop in the magnetic field.

Can the net force on a current loop be zero?

Yes, the net force on a current loop can be zero if the current in the loop is parallel to the magnetic field lines. In this case, the magnetic force acting on one side of the loop will cancel out the force acting on the other side, resulting in a net force of zero.

What is the significance of the net force on a current loop in practical applications?

The net force on a current loop is significant in practical applications such as electric motors, generators, and transformers, where the interaction between magnetic fields and current-carrying loops is used to generate motion or electrical energy.