What is the final speed of the truck and car after an elastic collision?

In summary, using the given information of a 750-kg car being rear-ended by a 1790-kg truck moving at 16.0 m/s, with the car in neutral and brakes off, the final speed of the truck is 21.51 m/s and the final speed of the car is 6.56 m/s. The calculations were corrected by using the coefficient of restitution to find the final velocities.
godkills
A 750- kg car stopped at an intersection is rear-ended by a 1790- kg truck moving with a speed of 16.0 m/s

If the car was in neutral and its brakes were off, so that the collision is approximately elastic, find the final speed of the truck.

Find the final speed of the car.

256 = (28640 -750v2)2 / 17902 + .42v22

v2 = 22.51
v1 = 6.757

i don't know what am i doing wrong but i get wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really understand what you have done. Explain it...

1790kg x 16 m/s = 1790s1 + 750 s2 where s1 and s2 is velocity of truck and car after collision.

s1=(28640 -750s2)/1790

1/2(1790)(16)^2=1/2(1790)(s1)^2 +1/2(750)(s2)^2

196=s1^2+0.42s2^2 equation number 2

then i plugged in s1 into equation number 2

The method is fine, there must be a problem in calculation. If you want to ease the calculations then use coefficient of restitution.

s2=21.51
s1=6.56

new ones still wrong i seriously don't know why i performed the calculations correctly

Related to What is the final speed of the truck and car after an elastic collision?

What is momentum elastic collision?

Momentum elastic collision is a type of collision where two objects collide and bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision is the same.

How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. Additionally, inelastic collisions result in a change in the shape of the objects, while elastic collisions do not.

What factors affect the amount of momentum in an elastic collision?

The amount of momentum in an elastic collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. Objects with larger masses or higher velocities will have a greater amount of momentum.

How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, indicating a perfectly elastic collision where no energy is lost. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating some energy loss.