Collisions between 3 particles (perfectly elastic)

In summary, three perfectly elastic particles with masses 4 kg, 2 kg, and 3 kg respectively, initially at rest, are placed in a straight line on a smooth horizontal table. Particle A is projected towards B with a speed of 15 m/s, and after A collides with B, B collides with C. Using the equations for momentum before and after collision and the principle of conservation of momentum, we can find the velocities of the particles after the second collision. The velocities are 5 m/s for A, 20 m/s for B, and 16 m/s for C. There is a possibility of a third collision between A and B. However, the word "possibility" may not be accurate as
Taniaz

Homework Statement

Three perfectly elastic particles A, B, C with masses 4 kg, 2 kg, 3 kg respectively, lie at rest in a straight line on a smooth horizontal table. Particle A is projected towards B with speed 15 m/s and after A has collided with B, B collides with C. Find the velocities of the particles after the second collision and state whether there will be a third collision.

Homework Equations

v1-v2= -e (u1-u2)
Momentum before collision and momentum after collision equations using the principle of conservation of momentum.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I formed the equations using the equations stated above. Should I include the momentum of all 3 before collision together and do the same for after or should I do it separately between A and B first and then B and C? If I do it for all 3 together then how will this equation v1-v2= -e (u1-u2) change? e=1 for a perfectly elastic collision.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
should I do it separately between A and B first and then B and C?
Why do anything more complicated?

This is what I've done so far.
Let u1= velocity of A before collision, v1=velocity of A after collision
u2= velocity of B before collision, v2=velocity of B after collision
u3= velocity of C before collision, v3=velocity of C after collision

u1= 15 and u2 = 0
v1=? and v2=?

Momentum before collision = 4(15) + 0(2) = 60
Momentum after collision = 4v1 + 2v2 = 60 since momentum before collision = momentum after collision

AND v1-v2 = -e(u1-u2) where e=1 for a perfectly elastic collision.
v1-v2 = -1(15-0) so v1-v2 = -15 so v1= -15+v2

Plugging it into 4v1+2v2=60 gives us 4(-15+v2) + 2v2 = 60 so v2 = 60 m/s and therefore v1 = 45 m/s

Now I know the velocity with which B hits C so u2 = 45 and u3=0
And v2-v3= -1(u2-u3) and the same procedure...

Taniaz said:
v2 = 60 m/s and therefore v1 = 45 m/s
Anything strike you as surprising about those answers?

They're huge compared to the initial velocities

It's because of the coefficient of restitution

Btw, I'm still not sure of part g of the gravitational potential question :frown:

Taniaz said:
They're huge compared to the initial velocities

It's because of the coefficient of restitution
No matter how good the restitution, the KE cannot increase,

So I'm getting all the velocities as positive which means they're all traveling in the same direction after collision so a third collision is unlikely?

Taniaz said:
So I'm getting all the velocities as positive which means they're all traveling in the same direction after collision so a third collision is unlikely?
Too early to say. The velocities you quote are clearly wrong. Can you spot your mistake?

Is it the equations?

Ok I see it 6 v2=120 so v2=20

So now I get v1 = 5m/s, v2= 20 m/s and v3=16m/s

Taniaz said:
So now I get v1 = 5m/s, v2= 20 m/s and v3=16m/s

V2 = 20m/s is velocity of B after first collision ? What about velocity of B after second collision ? Will there be a third collision ?

Velocity of B after second collision is -4 m/s

So there is a possibility of a collision between A and B

Taniaz said:
Velocity of B after second collision is -4 m/s
Right
Taniaz said:
So there is a possibility of a collision between A and B
Yes . But why use the word "possibility" ? They surely will collide .

Related to Collisions between 3 particles (perfectly elastic)

What is a perfectly elastic collision between 3 particles?

A perfectly elastic collision between 3 particles is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy and momentum of the particles is conserved. This means that after the collision, the particles will have the same velocities and directions as before the collision.

How is momentum conserved in a perfectly elastic collision between 3 particles?

In a perfectly elastic collision between 3 particles, the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same. This is because there is no external force acting on the system, so the net force is zero and momentum is conserved.

What is the equation for calculating the velocities of particles after a perfectly elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the velocities of particles after a perfectly elastic collision is:
v1f = (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2) * v1i + (2 * m2) / (m1 + m2) * v2i
v2f = (2 * m1) / (m1 + m2) * v1i + (m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2) * v2i
v3f = v3i

Can a perfectly elastic collision between 3 particles have a negative velocity?

Yes, a perfectly elastic collision between 3 particles can have negative velocities. This is because the velocities of the particles before and after the collision can be in different directions, resulting in some particles having negative velocities.

What are some real-life examples of perfectly elastic collisions between 3 particles?

Some real-life examples of perfectly elastic collisions between 3 particles include collisions between atoms in a gas, collisions between billiard balls on a pool table, and collisions between particles in a particle accelerator.