What is the error in my integration leading to ln II?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a complex function. The person tried to solve it using a substitution method but got stuck. The expert recommends using long division to simplify the integrand and then integrating term by term. They also point out an error in the person's use of the substitution method and suggest a clearer approach.
paulmdrdo1
i tried to solve this and I got stuck somewhere in my solution. I need help.

$\displaystyle \int\frac{3x^5-2x^3+5x^2-2}{x^3+1}dx$

splitting the integrand i get,

$\displaystyle \int\frac{3x^5}{x^3+1}dx-\int\frac{2x^3}{x^3+1}dx+\int\frac{5x^2}{x^3+1}dx-\int\frac{2}{x^3+1}dx$

by letting

$\displaystyle u\,=\,x^3+1$
$\displaystyle du\,=\,3x^2dx$
$\displaystyle dx\,=\,\frac{du}{3x^2}$
$\displaystyle x^3\,=\,u-1$

by substituting i now have,

$\displaystyle \int\frac{3x^5}{u}\frac{du}{3x^2}-\int\frac{2x^3}{u}\frac{du}{3x^2}+\int\frac{5x^2}{u}\frac{du}{3x^2}-\int\frac{2}{u}\frac{du}{3x^2}$

then,

$\displaystyle \int\frac{x^3}{u}du-\frac{2}{3}\int\frac{x}{u}du+\frac{5}{3}\int\frac{du}{u}-\frac{2}{3}\int\frac{du}{u\,x^2}$

since x^3 = u-1, i rewrote the first integral as $\displaystyle \int\frac{u-1}{u}du$

now i have written all the integrals in terms of u except 2nd and 4th integral

$\displaystyle \int\frac{u-1}{u}du-\frac{2}{3}\int\frac{x}{u}du+\frac{5}{3}\int\frac{du}{u}-\frac{2}{3}\int\frac{du}{u\,x^2}$

getting the indefinite integral of 1st and 3rd integral i get,

$\displaystyle \int udu-\int\frac{du}{u}+\frac{5}{3}\int\frac{du}{u} = u-\ln|u|+\frac{5}{3}\ln|u|$

and substituting the value of u i now have,

$\displaystyle x^3-\ln|x^3+1|+\frac{5}{3}\ln|x^3+1|\,=\,x^3+\frac{2}{3}\ln|x^3+1|$

until here i couldn't continue. i don't know what to do with the 2nd and 4th integral.
can you pinpoint where I'm wrong. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: integration leading to ln II

Using long division on the integrand, you should be able to show that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x^5-2x^3+5x^2-2}{x^3+1}=3x^2-2+\frac{2x^2}{x^3+1}\)

Now, integrate term by term. :D

MarkFL said:
Using long division on the integrand, you should be able to show that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3x^5-2x^3+5x^2-2}{x^3+1}=3x^2-2+\frac{2x^2}{x^3+1}\)

Now, integrate term by term. :D

did i use a wrong method in my solution? and if it isn't can you help me continue solving the problem using my method above.

paulmdrdo said:
did i use a wrong method in my solution? and if it isn't can you help me continue solving the problem using my method above.

I would abandon what you first tried in lieu of this much easier method. But that's just me.(Tongueout)

paulmdrdo said:
$\displaystyle \int\frac{u-1}{u}du-\frac{2}{3}\int\frac{x}{u}du+\frac{5}{3}\int\frac{du}{u}-\frac{2}{3}\int\frac{du}{u\,x^2}$
You are a bit scrambled in your use of the u substitution. Generally when a substitution is made we note the following:
\(\displaystyle u = f(x) \text{ --> } x = f^{-1}(u)\)
\(\displaystyle du = f'(x) dx \text{ --> } dx = f'^{-1}(u) du\)

The notation is a bit abstract so let me use your example:
\(\displaystyle u = x^3 + 1 \text{ --> } x = (u - 1)^{1/3}\)
\(\displaystyle du = 3x^2 dx \text{ --> } dx = \frac{1}{3}(u - 1)^{-2/3}du\)

Note that the x's are all on one side of the equation and the u's are all on the other. This means that you can now proceed from x integrals directly to u integrals.

Try looking at your problem again in light of these relations. I'm suspecting you made a substitution error.

-Dan

Related to What is the error in my integration leading to ln II?

1. What is integration leading to ln II?

Integration leading to ln II is a mathematical process that involves finding the integral of a function and using the natural logarithm function to solve for the value of the integral.

2. Why is integration leading to ln II important?

Integration leading to ln II is important because it allows us to solve for the area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you perform integration leading to ln II?

To perform integration leading to ln II, you first need to find the integral of the function using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. Then, you can use the natural logarithm function to solve for the value of the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using integration leading to ln II?

One benefit of using integration leading to ln II is that it can help us find the exact value of an integral, rather than just an approximation. It also allows us to solve for integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using other integration techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to integration leading to ln II?

Yes, there are limitations to integration leading to ln II. This method can only be used for certain types of functions, and it may not work for more complex functions. Additionally, it can be time-consuming and requires a good understanding of both integration and natural logarithms.