What is the error in my integration by parts?

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a given equation using the integration by parts method. The individual has attempted the integration and arrived at a solution but is unsure if it is correct. They are seeking help to find the correct answer. Some errors and corrections are discussed and a new approach is suggested using substitution.
zxcv784
Hi,

I am trying to integrate (x^5)/7680 . exp (-x/2) dx between 0 and 1. I've had various attempts at this and this is what i have done so far...

Taken the 1/7680 outside the integration

Using integation by parts I have assigned u=x^5 and dv/dx = exp(-x/2). when i integrate exp(-x/2) i get v = -2exp(-x/2), and du/dx = 5x^4 - is this correct?

This integration results in...

-2x^5exp(-x/2) - the integral of -8x^4 . exp(-x/2)

which also has a product so i do a series of integration of parts to nock down the power each time to get the solution in terms of a x^5 + x^4 +x^3 etc...

But i mut be doing something wrong as the answer is 1.4x10^-5 and i get 0.189!

I would really appreciate some help on this integration as I've spent so long trying to figure it out and this is my last resort!

Thanks

zxcv784

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry there is an error in my first post...

after the first integration stage i now get...

-2x^5.exp(-x/2) -integral of -10x^4 . exp(-x/2)

after continuing the integrations my final result is:

-2x^5.exp(-x/2) - 20x^4.exp(-x/2) + 160x^3.exp(-x/2) - 960x^2.exp(-x/2) + 3840x.exp(-x/2) - 7680exp(-x/2)

I have tried to substitue the boundaries into this (x=1 and x=0) but get a minus number so i must have gone wrong somewhere, any ideas?

your help on this is greatly appreciated.

zxcv784

Welcome to PF!

Hi zxcv784! Welcome to PF! :smile:
zxcv784 said:
-2x^5.exp(-x/2) - 20x^4.exp(-x/2) + 160x^3.exp(-x/2) - 960x^2.exp(-x/2) + 3840x.exp(-x/2) - 7680exp(-x/2)

Shouldn't they all be minuses? :confused:

i don't think (because uv - -x = uv + x) so but could be wrong...

even if they were all minuses when i subsitute x=1 into it i get -7679.54 which when divided by 7680 gives -0.999 which is still way off...

any ideas?

zxcv784 said:
… even if they were all minuses when i subsitute x=1 into it …

D'uh … what about x = 0 ? :smile: :rolleyes:

D'uh...when x = 0, and you substiute it into x^n the result is 0...

I would substitute s = x/2 and then your left with

[tex]
\frac{1}{120}\int_0^{1/2} s^5\,e^{-s}\,ds
[/tex]

which equals
[tex]
-\frac{1}{120}\left[e^{-s}\cdot P_{5}(s)\right]_0^{\frac{1}{2}}
[/tex]

Where P(s) is a polynomial resulting from the integration by parts, which, I believe, can be shown to be in general,

[tex]
P_n(s) = s^n + n\cdot s^{n-1} + n\cdot(n-1)\cdot s^{n-2} \ldots +n!
[/tex]

zxcv784 said:
D'uh...when x = 0, and you substiute it into x^n the result is 0...

:wink: Even for n = 0? :wink:

Related to What is the error in my integration by parts?

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation.

When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is used when the integral of a product of functions cannot be easily evaluated using other integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and dv and du are their respective differentials.

How do you choose u and dv in integration by parts?

To choose u and dv, you can use the acronym "LIATE", which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions. The function u should be chosen from the first two categories, while dv should be chosen from the last three categories.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include choosing the wrong u and dv, not simplifying the integration by parts formula, and not using the correct integration limits. It is also important to check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.