What is the effect on conrod forces?

• Thread starter Damo ET
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the question is whether it makes a difference to the dynamics of the engine if the mass is not evenly distributed between the big and little ends of a rod. Greg said that it does not make a difference.
Damo ET
Quite a number of years ago I was speaking to a friend (Greg) who did engine machining work for some semi professional race teams and individuals. I was questioning him on how best to balance conrods. ( From what I had gathered off the internet from a multiple of different sites, and after learning how the different harmonics influence 'engine balance' I learned to balance the rods end for end. After multiple different trial and error attempts at balancing ends of the rods I had, I was struck by something which has stuck with me till today. Its the effect of weight located passed the the centre point of the eye or big end of either end of the rod in question.
If I had a rod on the scales measuring the weight of the little end being supported at the 'eyes' centre, if I added exactly 1 gram to the very farthest point on the little end, the effect of that 1 gram 'should' reduce the big end weight by a very small amount, and vice versa.)

So the question I posed to Greg was do you balance the big end caps separately first, then do the rest of the rods? He said "No, it makes no difference."

I can't help but think that it must make a difference, even if it is minute. Mind you, he was balancing his 'engines' to within 1 gram end to end, and the setup I had was repeatable to less than a 1/2 of that. So possibly the results were not showing up in his measurements.
So, my question is, even if a rod is balanced end for end exactly, does it make a difference to anything dynamically (other than stress inside the rod) that the mass is not evenly distributed? If the end weights are the same, the centre of gravity would be in the same spot, so in theory the crank wouldn't notice any difference, or am I missing something?

Thanks guys.Damien

Engineering news on Phys.org
BTW, for a little reference, I had been using a set of paint mixing 'teetering scales' which made the process akward but doable. I have just purchased a set of 2kg with scale down to 0.01g which I would like to get use out of, and I hope to be able to do better than just roughly balance them.Damien

Related to What is the effect on conrod forces?

1. What is a conrod?

A conrod, short for connecting rod, is a crucial component in an engine that connects the piston to the crankshaft and transfers the reciprocating motion of the piston into rotational motion of the crankshaft.

2. What are conrod forces?

Conrod forces refer to the forces acting on the connecting rod as a result of the reciprocating motion of the piston and the rotational motion of the crankshaft.

3. How are conrod forces calculated?

Conrod forces can be calculated using the equations of motion and considering factors such as engine speed, piston acceleration, and the mass of the piston and connecting rod.

4. What is the effect of conrod forces on engine performance?

Conrod forces can have a significant impact on engine performance as they can cause wear and tear on the connecting rod, affect the engine's balance and vibration, and ultimately affect the power output and efficiency of the engine.

5. How can conrod forces be reduced?

Conrod forces can be reduced by using high-quality materials for the connecting rod, optimizing the design of the connecting rod, and ensuring proper lubrication and maintenance of the engine.