What is the Delta Function Identity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the formula f(x)\frac{d}{dx}\delta(x) = f(0)\frac{d}{dx}\delta(x)-f'(0)\delta(x) and the use of integration by parts to solve it. The conversation also mentions the distribution d(\delta(x))/dx and its relationship to f(x) and f'(x)\delta(x)- f'(0).
ArcherVillage
I know I haven't entered the formulae with the proper syntax, but I'm extremely exhausted at the time of posting, so please just read it and give advice, forgiving me this once for not using proper form (it's basically in latex code format).

Homework Statement

Show [itex]f(x)\frac{d}{dx}\delta(x) = f(0)\frac{d}{dx}\delta(x)-f'(0)\delta(x)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\delta(x)\intf(x)dx = \int f(x)\delta(x)dx = f(0)[/tex]
[tex](f',\phi):=(f,-\phi ')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f(0)\delta'(x) - f'(0)\delta(x)[/tex]
[tex]=\delta'(x)\intf(x)\delta(x)dx-\delta(x)\intf'(x)\delta(x)dx[/tex]
[tex]=...[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use "integration by parts". To integrate
[tex]\int (f(x) d(\delta(x))/dx) dx[/tex]
let u= f(x) and [itex]dv= d(\delta(x))/dx dx[/itex] so that du= f'(x) dx and [itex]v= \delta(x)[/itex].=

Then [tex]\int (f(x) d(\delta(x))/dx) dx= f'(x)\delta(x)- \int f'(x)\delta(x) dx[/tex]
[tex]= f'(x)\delta(x)- f'(0)[/itex].

So [itex]d(\delta(x))/dx[/itex] is the distribution that maps f(x) to [itex]f'(x)\delta(x)- f'(0)[/itex].

Related to What is the Delta Function Identity?

What is the delta function identity?

The delta function identity, also known as the Kronecker delta, is a mathematical function that is used to represent the identity element of a given algebraic structure. It is commonly denoted by the symbol δ and is defined as 1 when the input is 0 and 0 for any other input.

What is the significance of the delta function identity in mathematics?

The delta function identity has many important applications in mathematics, especially in the fields of calculus, analysis, and probability theory. It is commonly used to represent impulses, measure the strength of a signal, and define the Dirac delta function, which is essential in solving differential equations.

How is the delta function identity related to the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is often defined as the limit of a sequence of functions, where each function is a scaled version of the delta function identity. This relationship allows us to use the properties of the delta function identity to solve problems involving the Dirac delta function.

What are the properties of the delta function identity?

The delta function identity has several important properties, including symmetry, linearity, and normalization. It is also known as the unit impulse function, as it has an area of 1 when integrated over its domain. Additionally, it can be shifted, scaled, and convolved with other functions to solve various mathematical problems.

How is the delta function identity used in signal processing?

In signal processing, the delta function identity is used to measure the strength of a signal at a specific point in time. It is often used to represent impulses in a signal, such as a sudden spike or change. It is also used in convolution to filter out unwanted noise from a signal.