Trying to solve a 2nd order diffy-Q with delta function

In summary: Sorry.In summary, the function d2f/dx2 + cf = delta(x) has a solution of f = C1exp(cx) + C2exp(-cx) with the condition that f is finite and f(50) = f(-50) = 0. The solution can be further simplified by setting C2 = 0 and specifying a discontinuity at x = 0 for the delta function. However, the proposed solution does not have the appropriate discontinuous derivative at x=0 and may not accurately represent the physical situation being described. Further clarification of the problem is needed.
random_soldier
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
My function:

d2f/dx2 + cf = delta(x)

Condition: f is finite and f(50) = f(-50) = 0

Solution: f = C1exp(cx) + C2exp(-cx)

Due to condition,

f = C1exp(cx) for x<=0 and C2exp(-cx) for x>=0

f(50) = C2exp(-c*50) = 0 = > C2 = 0

Likewise, for C1

I don't know if I might have missed something. Also not sure if I dealt with the delta function correctly. I assumed RHS as zero for the purpose of solving the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
random_soldier said:
Due to condition,

f = C1exp(cx) for x<=0 and C2exp(-cx) for x>=0
This is wrong. What is your argument for ignoring ##C_2## for ##x \leq 0##? Note that your domain is just ##-50 < x < 50##, not ##-\infty < x < \infty##.

random_soldier said:
Also not sure if I dealt with the delta function correctly. I assumed RHS as zero for the purpose of solving the equation.
I would say you have not dealt with it at all. Your solution is now identically zero, which of course means that its derivative is zero. In order for a derivative to be proportional to a delta function, the function needs to have a discontinuity at that point. Thus, in order for a second derivative to be proportional to a delta function, its derivative needs to have a discontinuity at that point.

Orodruin said:
This is wrong. What is your argument for ignoring ##C_2## for ##x \leq 0##? Note that your domain is just ##-50 < x < 50##, not ##-\infty < x < \infty##.

Sorry! Should have specified, delta(x) is a point particle source. f measures the current. By the way if you are wondering why it looks so strange, I was hoping to simplify it. Sorry if it didn't work out as intended.

Orodruin said:
I would say you have not dealt with it at all. Your solution is now identically zero, which of course means that its derivative is zero. In order for a derivative to be proportional to a delta function, the function needs to have a discontinuity at that point. Thus, in order for a second derivative to be proportional to a delta function, its derivative needs to have a discontinuity at that point.

Again, sorry. It was in relation to the delta being a source. I assumed it likely would be better off as zero due to that. Wouldn't I just specify the discontinuity at exactly x = 0 in this case and leave the rest be?

I am fully aware of what a delta function (distribution actually) is. What the interpretation of f is is irrelevant for the mathematical problem.

random_soldier said:
Wouldn't I just specify the discontinuity at exactly x = 0 in this case and leave the rest be?
Yes, but your proposed solition does not have the appropriate discontinuous derivative at x=0, so it must be wrong.

I suggest you reread my first post and reply to its actual content.

Okay, it doesn't need to be bound if the domain is only -50 to 50. That makes sense mathematically.

What if it's charge distribution from a charge source and an insulating material lies at those points? It would decay, wouldn't it? I think I should at least know the physical implications.

I am sorry, but you are not making any sense whatsoever. You need to specify the problem you are actually wanting to solve mathematically. It is not at all clear what physical situation you are trying to describe. You need to give the exact problem statement as required by the homework template (which you deleted).

Nevermind. I'll post it in the other forum, then. It's not for math but I was thought math would suit it better.

Related to Trying to solve a 2nd order diffy-Q with delta function

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that contains the second derivative of an unknown function. It is used to model many physical phenomena in science and engineering.

What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinite. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent an impulse or point source.

Why is solving a 2nd order differential equation with a delta function challenging?

Solving a 2nd order differential equation with a delta function is challenging because it involves finding a solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the delta function at the same time. This requires understanding and applying advanced mathematical techniques.

What are some common methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation with a delta function?

There are several methods for solving a 2nd order differential equation with a delta function, including the Laplace transform method, the Green's function method, and the method of undetermined coefficients. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the best approach may vary depending on the specific problem at hand.

What are some applications of solving 2nd order differential equations with delta functions?

Solving 2nd order differential equations with delta functions has many practical applications in science and engineering. This includes modeling the behavior of electrical circuits, analyzing the dynamics of mechanical systems, and understanding the diffusion of substances in biological systems. It is also used in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.