What is the Curl of the Position Vector?

In summary: Just use it to show that the curl of r over r^3 is zero. Hint: what is the gradient of 1/r^3?In summary, the curl of both \vec{r} and \frac{\vec{r}}{r^3} is equal to zero. This is because, based on the previous exercise, the curl of any gradient vector is zero. Additionally, the vector r over r^3 is the gradient of -1/r, which means that its curl must also be zero. Therefore, the curl of both \vec{r} and \frac{\vec{r}}{r^3} is zero.
blackhole007

Homework Statement

compute the curl of:

[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]

[tex]r^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the curl of [tex]\vec{r} = 0[/tex] as my book says it should be...

however...I also need to prove the second vector field up there also is equal to 0...Is it as simple as saying this?:

since [tex]∇\times\vec{r}=0 [/tex]... therefore, [tex]∇\times\vec{r}(\frac{1}{r^3})=0[/tex] as well. ?

My book states that we should be able to see that these equal zero before doing the calculations to save us time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blackhole007 said:

Homework Statement

compute the curl of:

[tex]\vec{r}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}[/tex]

[tex]r^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that the curl of [tex]\vec{r} = 0[/tex] as my book says it should be...

however...I also need to prove the second vector field up there also is equal to 0. Is it as simple as saying :

since [tex]∇(X)\vec{r}=0 [/tex]... therefore, [tex]∇(X)\vec{r}(1/r^3) = 0[/tex] as well. ?

My book states that we should be able to see that these equal zero before doing the calculations to save us time

The "(X)" is my cross product notation lol

It's simple to say that. To prove it you need a vector calculus identity about the curl of a vector times a function. Do you know one? And yes, if you have that, there is no need do the whole calculation.

We have not learned one yet, the last problem I did was a proof of [tex]∇\times∇ψ(\vec{r})=0[/tex] and that was the problem directly before this, so no identities like you mentioned thus far.

blackhole007 said:
We have not learned one yet, the last problem I did was a proof of [tex]∇\times∇ψ(\vec{r})=0[/tex] and that was the problem directly before this, so no identities like you mentioned thus far.

Ok, that works too. What's the gradient of 1/r?

Last edited:
gradient of 1/r is [tex]-\frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

blackhole007 said:
gradient of 1/r is [tex]-\frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}[/tex]

Ok, so? The curl of that must then be zero. That's what you proved in the previous exercise, right? How does that relate to your problem?

Last edited:
Cool thanks for that connection i totally missed haha...does this look sufficient?

[url=http://postimage.org/][PLAIN]http://s13.postimage.org/opdekff9z/photo_8.jpg[/url] upload photos[/PLAIN]

blackhole007 said:
Cool thanks for that connection i totally missed haha...does this look sufficient?

Well, no. You proved that the curl of any gradient vector is zero in the previous exercise. You then showed that the vector r over r^3 is the gradient of -1/r. So the curl of vector r over r^3 is...? The curl of ANY gradient is zero. That's where the skipping of some calculation comes in. You don't have to repeat the previous proof.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Curl of the Position Vector?

1. What is the definition of "curl of the position vector"?

The curl of the position vector is a mathematical concept that describes the amount of rotation or circulation at a particular point in a vector field. It is a vector quantity that represents the axis of rotation and the magnitude of rotation at that point.

2. How is the "curl of the position vector" calculated?

The curl of the position vector is calculated using the cross product of the gradient operator and the position vector. It can also be calculated using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the partial derivatives of the vector components with respect to each coordinate axis.

3. What does a positive or negative "curl of the position vector" indicate?

A positive curl of the position vector indicates that there is a counterclockwise rotation at that point in the vector field. A negative curl indicates a clockwise rotation. If the curl is zero, there is no rotation or circulation at that point.

4. What is the physical significance of the "curl of the position vector"?

The curl of the position vector has various physical applications, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and solid mechanics. It can be used to describe the circulation of fluids, the rotation of electric or magnetic fields, and the bending or twisting of objects under stress.

5. How does the "curl of the position vector" relate to the divergence of a vector field?

The curl of the position vector and the divergence of a vector field are related through the generalized Stokes' theorem. The theorem states that the surface integral of the curl of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. This relates the rotation or circulation of a vector field to the divergence or "spreading out" of the field.