What is the correct way to find the argument of a complex number?

In summary, when finding the argument of a complex number, we can freely add multiples of 2pi, but the principal argument is the one between 0 and 2pi.
sara_87

Homework Statement

I have a complex number
z=1-i

I want to find the argument of this complex number

Homework Equations

The angle it makes with the positive real axis is arctan(1/1)=pi/4

The Attempt at a Solution

This point lies in the fourth quadrant of the argand diagram.

Arg(z)= angle the z makes anticlockwise with the positive real axis = 2*pi - pi/4

is 2*pi-pi/4 the correct answer?

In matlab, the argument of this number is -pi/4 so I don't understand, doesn't the argument have to always be measured anticlockwise from the positive real axis?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:

Homework Statement

I have a complex number
z=1-i

I want to find the argument of this complex number

Homework Equations

The angle it makes with the positive real axis is arctan(1/1)=pi/4

The Attempt at a Solution

This point lies in the fourth quadrant of the argand diagram.

Arg(z)= angle the z makes anticlockwise with the positive real axis = 2*pi - pi/4

is 2*pi-pi/4 the correct answer?

In matlab, the argument of this number is -pi/4 so I don't understand, doesn't the argument have to always be measured anticlockwise from the positive real axis?
That might be so for positive angles, but negative angles are measured in the clockwise direction. I can't imagine that MATLAB would require all angles to be positive.

The angles 7[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 and -[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 are of course different, but they have the same reference point.
sara_87 said:
Thank you in advance

You can freely add multiples of 2pi to the arument of a complex number without changing its value. For different multiples of 2pi, you obtain different representations of the same argument. After all, the radian mesure is periodic in 2pi. However, there exists the notion of the principal argument (or the principal value of the argument) of a complex number. Of all the possible representations of the argument, this is the one lying between 0 and 2pi.

Therefore -pi/4 is a valid representation of arg(1-i), but it is not the principal argument. The principal argument is 7pi/4, as you stated.

Related to What is the correct way to find the argument of a complex number?

1. What is the definition of an argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin and the complex number on the complex plane.

2. How is the argument of a complex number represented?

The argument of a complex number is usually represented in radians or degrees, depending on the convention used.

3. What is the range of the argument of a complex number?

The range of the argument of a complex number is from -π to π (or -180° to 180°), as it is a measure of the angle formed on the complex plane.

4. How is the argument of a complex number calculated?

The argument of a complex number can be calculated using the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the imaginary part divided by the real part of the complex number, or by using trigonometric identities.

5. What is the significance of the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number helps to determine the location of the complex number on the complex plane, as well as its relationship to other complex numbers. It is also used in various mathematical operations involving complex numbers, such as multiplication and division.