What Is the Correct Substitution for This Integral?

In summary: Wolfram thinks it's arctan-ny.Make the substitution x = sin^2h(t), and the integral reduces to:2\int \sqrt{sin^2h(t) - 1}\ dtEdit: just saw your post. Oops.You get an ugly mess if you type that into Wolfram's Integrator directly. On the other hand, simplifying the radical leads to the much simpler form\int\frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x^2(x+1)}dx =-\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac1{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\right)+\frac{\
ascky
I've been trying to figure this out for a while, but I can't find the right substitution:

[tex]\int \sqrt{\frac{x-1}{x(x+1)}} dx [/tex]

Anyone able to help me out? It's driving me crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Wolfram seems to think that it reduces to the sum of an elliptic integral of the first kind and second kind, furthermore involving complex numbers.

Oh, gee, I copied it wrong. How embarrassing. My apologies. How about

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{\frac{x-1}{x+1}}}{x^2} dx [/tex]

Wolfram thinks it's arctan-ny.

Make the substitution [tex]x = sin^2h(t)[/tex], and the integral reduces to:

[tex]2\int \sqrt{sin^2h(t) - 1}\ dt[/tex]

Edit: just saw your post. Oops.

You get an ugly mess if you type that into Wolfram's Integrator directly. On the other hand, simplifying the radical leads to the much simpler form
[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}{x^2(x+1)}dx =
-\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac1{\sqrt{x^2-1}}\right)+\frac{\sqrt{x^2-1}}x\right)[/tex]

In that case, make the substitution [tex]u^2 =\frac{x-1}{x+1}\ [/tex].

So the integral becomes:

[tex]\int \frac{4u^2 du}{(1+u^2)^2}\[/tex]

Looks like a further substitution of u = tan(t) or u = sinh(a) will do the trick. Or partial fractions.

By partial fractions, the integrand is: [tex]\frac{4}{1+u^2}\ - \frac{4}{(1+u^2)^2}\[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the algebra manipulating that substitution to get it nicely as

[tex]\int \frac{4u^2}{(1+u^2)^2} du[/tex]

Would it be too much trouble to explain how you did that? Of course from there, it's nice.

[tex]u^2 = \frac{x-1}{x+1}\ [/tex]
[tex] = 1 - \frac{2}{x+1}\ [/tex]

Solving for (x + 1) gives:

[tex] x + 1 = \frac{2}{1 - u^2}\ [/tex] --- (1)

So, [tex](x + 1)^2 = \frac{4}{(1 - u^2)^2}\ [/tex] --- (2)

Also, [tex]2u du = \frac{2 dx}{(x+1)^2}\ [/tex]

^ You got that part right? So:

[tex]dx = u(x + 1)^2 du[/tex]

From (2),

[tex]dx = \frac{4u du}{(1 - u^2)^2}\ [/tex]

So, the expression inside the square root of your original integral becomes u^2, so the whole square root becomes u. From (1):

[tex] x = \frac{2 - (1 - u^2)}{1 - u^2}\ [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1 + u^2}{1 - u^2}\ [/tex]

Therefore, [tex]x^2 = \frac{(1 + u^2)^2}{(1 - u^2)^2}\ [/tex]

So, the whole integral becomes:

[tex] \int \frac{ \frac{4u^2 du}{(1 - u^2)^2} }{ \frac{(1 + u^2)^2}{(1 - u^2)^2}\ } \ [/tex]

= [tex] \int \frac{4u^2 du}{(1 + u^2)^2}\ [/tex]

Ahhh I get it now. That was very clear. :smile:

Thanks very much for your help. Now I can sleep contentedly!

well i tried it by substituting the following:

[tex]x=\tan^2\t[/tex] and then continued. It simplifies very well.

I never get my latex coding right.
[tex]x/=/tan^2t[/tex]

well isn't the backslash to be for space,

[tex]x\=\tan^2\t[/tex]

now i got it all wrong
[tex]x=\tan^2t[/tex]

Now it is fine, sorry for my disobedience with so many posts.

Related to What Is the Correct Substitution for This Integral?

1. How do I know which integration technique to use?

Determining which integration technique to use depends on the form of the integrand. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and using trigonometric identities. It is important to be familiar with these techniques and practice using them to become more comfortable with choosing the right one.

2. What do I do if I can't find an antiderivative?

If you are unable to find an antiderivative for a given integral, it is possible that the integral is not solvable using elementary functions. In these cases, you may need to use numerical techniques or consult a table of integrals to find the solution.

3. Can I solve this integral by hand?

It depends on the complexity of the integral. Some integrals can be solved using basic algebraic manipulation and substitution, while others may require more advanced techniques or even computer software. It is always a good idea to try solving by hand first before resorting to other methods.

4. How do I check my answer for an integral?

To check your answer for an integral, you can differentiate the solution and see if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online integration calculators or software to verify your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals more efficiently?

One tip for solving integrals more efficiently is to practice and become familiar with common integration techniques. Also, breaking the integral into smaller parts or using symmetry can help simplify the problem. Additionally, always be sure to double-check your work and use resources such as textbooks or online tools for guidance.