What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in Brenda's Wallpaper Project?

In summary, Brenda sanded the walls before hanging new wallpaper, using a 2.0N sanding block and pushing with a force of 3.0N at an angle of 30.0 degrees toward the wall. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the wall and the block, a free body diagram was drawn and the y-component of the hand force was calculated. The resulting value of 1.30 for the coefficient of static friction may be incorrect due to the assumption that the normal force is equal to the weight of the block, which is not the case on a vertical wall. A more accurate drawing and calculation may be necessary to find the correct value.
sunfire249

Homework Statement

Before hanging new William Morris wallpaper in her bedroom, Brenda sanded the walls lightly to smooth out some irregularities on the surface. The sanding block weighs 2.0N and Brenda pushes on it with a force of 3.0N at an angle of 30.0 degrees with respect to the vertical, and angled toward the wall. Draw a free body diagram for the sanding block as it moves straight up the wall at a constant speed. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the wall and the block?

Fn = 2.0N
Theta = 30.0
Fhand = 3.0N

Homework Equations

F = UkN
y-component = ycos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew an FBD of a block on a vertical wall with Fn pointing in the downwards direction. I extended the top part of the block a little with a dotted line to show the continuation of the y-axis, and drew a line that represented the magnitude of the hand pushing at 30degrees.

My first attempt I tried 3.0cos(30.0) (because I reasoned that if you find the y-component to the force of the hand you would find the F needed for the equation F = UkN)
I got 2.6N from this, and reworked F = UkN so it would be Uk = F/N
I plugged in Uk = 2.6N/2.0N (Normal force of the block), and got 1.30 as an answer.

This answer seems a little large to me though, considering it's the coefficient of Static Friction. So I'm just wondering where I might have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wall is vertical so the normal force is horizontal and not equal to the weight of the block, which points downward.

A good drawing always helps. Can you show yours?

ehild

Related to What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in Brenda's Wallpaper Project?

1. What are contact forces?

Contact forces are forces that act on an object when it comes into physical contact with another object. These forces can either push or pull on an object, causing it to move or change shape.

2. What are some examples of contact forces?

Some common examples of contact forces include friction, tension, normal force, air resistance, and applied force.

3. How do contact forces differ from non-contact forces?

Contact forces require direct physical contact between two objects, while non-contact forces can act on an object without any physical contact. Examples of non-contact forces include gravity, electrical and magnetic forces.

4. How can contact forces be calculated?

Contact forces can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of force and motion. The magnitude and direction of a contact force can be determined by considering the mass and acceleration of the objects involved.

5. What is the importance of understanding contact forces?

Understanding contact forces is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mechanics. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of objects in motion and design structures that can withstand different types of contact forces.