Why is the tension force equal to friction force

In summary, a 1.0 kg block is sitting on top of a 2.0 kg block that is being pulled to the right with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction at both surfaces of the 2.0 kg block is μk = 0.300. The tension in the rope holding the 1.0 kg block to the wall is equal to the negative value of the friction force acting on the 1.0 kg block.
mooguy

Homework Statement

The 1.0 kg block in the figure is tied to the wall with a rope. It sits on top of the 2.0 kg block. The lower block is pulled to the right with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction at both the lower and upper surfaces of the 2.0 kg block is μk = 0.300.

What is the tension in the rope holding the 1.0 kg block to the wall?

Homework Equations

f=ma
F(friction force) = μ*m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the full diagram
knight_Figure_08_27.jpg
[/B]
I drew out a force body diagram that looks like this for just the first block(I think this is right)
kPKWJsX.png

Although I'm still confused as to why is it that the tension force and the friction force are the same. I thought tension and friction are completely different forces and how do I know when to associate forces to tension

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the figure that is mentioned in the statement? Anyway the normal force mg is not correctly calculated. You should check the direction of the forces think in your block where is it pulled from?

What direction is the friction force acting on the 1 kg block? (a) in the same direction that the 2 kg block is moving (b) in the opposite direction that the 2 kg block is moving?

Chestermiller said:
What direction is the friction force acting on the 1 kg block? (a) in the same direction that the 2 kg block is moving (b) in the opposite direction that the 2 kg block is moving?
Friction should be acting in the opposite direction that the 2kg block is moving.

Diegor said:
Where is the figure that is mentioned in the statement? Anyway the normal force mg is not correctly calculated. You should check the direction of the forces think in your block where is it pulled from?

The diagram I drew was just of the 1kg block. the force of gravity pulling down on the 1kg block should just be 1*9.8. the 1kg block should be pulled from the left, since that rope from tied to it and the friction force should be the only thing pulling it back while the 2kg block is being pulled forward.

mooguy said:
Friction should be acting in the opposite direction that the 2kg block is moving.
Wrong

Ok in your diagram I see 1N as normal force is that the result from 1kg x9,8 m/s2? If both forces tension and friction are in the same direction would it be possible for the block to stay in equilibrium?

Likes mooguy
mooguy said:
The diagram I drew was just of the 1kg block. the force of gravity pulling down on the 1kg block should just be 1*9.8. the 1kg block should be pulled from the left, since that rope from tied to it and the friction force should be the only thing pulling it back while the 2kg block is being pulled forward.
If the only vertical force is gravity, shouldn't the block fall?

Diegor said:
Ok in your diagram I see 1N as normal force is that the result from 1kg x9,8 m/s2? If both forces tension and friction are in the same direction would it be possible for the block to stay in equilibrium?

Ohh I see the mistake. Aahh ok. No it would not be possible for the block to stay in stay in equilibrium if tension and friction are in the same direction. That's where I think I went wrong. I was confusing the directions of friction. So if we say that motion to the left is negative and motion to the right is positive, then T=-F(Friction) for the 1KG block?

mooguy said:
Ohh I see the mistake. Aahh ok. No it would not be possible for the block to stay in stay in equilibrium if tension and friction are in the same direction. That's where I think I went wrong. I was confusing the directions of friction. So if we say that motion to the left is negative and motion to the right is positive, then T=-F(Friction) for the 1KG block?
There really isn't any motion in either direction for the 1kg block. But you now do have the correct directions for the forces.

Last edited:

Related to Why is the tension force equal to friction force

1. What is the tension force and friction force?

The tension force is a pulling force that is exerted by a string, rope, or cable when it is attached to an object. Friction force is a resistive force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. Why is the tension force equal to the friction force?

The tension force and friction force are equal because they are both caused by the same physical phenomenon - the interaction between two surfaces. In order for an object to move, the applied tension force must overcome the resistive friction force, resulting in the two forces being equal.

3. How are the tension force and friction force related?

The tension force and friction force are related through Newton's Third Law of Motion which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the tension force pulling on one surface causes an equal and opposite friction force on the other surface.

4. Can the tension force ever be greater than the friction force?

Yes, the tension force can be greater than the friction force. In order for an object to move, the applied tension force must be greater than the resistive friction force. However, if the tension force is too strong, it can cause the object to break or the surfaces to slip, reducing the friction force.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the tension force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth two surfaces are in contact with each other. A higher coefficient of friction means that the surfaces are rougher, resulting in a higher friction force. This means that a higher tension force is required to overcome the increased friction force between the two surfaces.