What is the best book for beginners?

In summary, the speaker is planning to take college algebra at their local community college to improve their math skills and save money. They are looking for book recommendations to improve their foundation in math, and "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang is suggested as a comprehensive resource.
ipodchicken
Hey everyone. :smile: I'm going to be taking college algebra at my local community college to improve my math skills. I'll probably stay at my CC for my A.A because they are significantly much cheaper than FIT and UCF but that is another conversation entirely.

What are a few good books that will improve my foundation and maybe even leak into college algebra a bit? I've been working through khan academy from the beginning and have already gotten to high school algebra. Its helpful practice but I'm looking for something I can do when I'm on break at work. They won't let me take my laptop into the break room.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the book "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. It contains everything you need to know of high school math before calculus.

Related to What is the best book for beginners?

1. What makes a book good for beginners?

A good book for beginners should have a clear and easy-to-follow writing style, cover fundamental concepts in a comprehensive manner, and provide practical examples or exercises to reinforce learning.

2. What are some popular books for beginners in [specific field]?

This can vary depending on the specific field, but some popular books for beginners in various fields include "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari for history, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking for physics, and "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White for writing.

3. Are there any books that cater specifically to different learning styles?

Yes, there are books that cater to different learning styles, such as visual learners, auditory learners, and kinesthetic learners. Some examples include "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" by Edward R. Tufte for visual learners, "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren for auditory learners, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman for kinesthetic learners.

4. Can I find beginner-level books for free?

Yes, there are many resources for free beginner-level books, such as online libraries, public libraries, and open-access websites. Some popular websites for free books include Project Gutenberg, Open Library, and Google Books.

5. How do I know if a book is suitable for my level as a beginner?

You can check the book's description or reviews to see if it is targeted towards beginners. You can also skim through the table of contents and see if it covers basic concepts that you are unfamiliar with. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from experts or individuals who have read the book.