What is the arc length of the function 1/2(e^x+e^-x) on the interval [0,2]?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the issue of evaluating the arc length of the function 1/2(e^x+e^-x) on the interval [0,2]. The arc length formula of square root of 1+(dy/dx)^2 is being used, but while the solution should be 3.627, the calculations are yielding 3.511. The person realizes their mistake in the calculation and thanks for any help.
fd25t6
Hello everyone, I am having a bit of an issue evaluating the arc length of the function 1/2(e^x+e^-x) interval [0,2]. We were instructed to solve using the arc length formula square root of 1+(dy/dx)^2. The solution should be 3.627 according to my CAS. However my calculations are yielding 3.511.

arc length of the function 1/2(e^x+e^-x) interval [0,2]

Homework Equations

square root of 1+(dy/dx)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F(x)= 1/2(e^x+e^-x)
F'(X)= 1/2(e^x-e^-x)
F'(x)^2= (e^2x - 2 - e^-2x)/4 ==> ((e^2x)/4) - (1/2) - (1/4e^2x)

So I try to evaluate the integral from the interval [0,2] of the square root of 1+[(e^2x)/4 - (1/2) - (1/4e^2x)] and end up with 3.511.

any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
fd25t6 said:
F'(X)= 1/2(e^x-e^-x)
F'(x)^2= (e^2x - 2 - e^-2x)/4 ==> ((e^2x)/4) - (1/2) - (1/4e^2x)
Check the signs.

such a silly mistake.. it has been a long day. Thank you much

Related to What is the arc length of the function 1/2(e^x+e^-x) on the interval [0,2]?

1. What is the formula for calculating arc length?

The formula for calculating arc length is S = rθ, where S is the arc length, r is the radius, and θ is the central angle in radians.

2. How is arc length different from arc measure?

Arc length is the actual distance along the curved line of the arc, while arc measure is the size of the central angle that forms the arc.

3. What is the significance of arc length in geometry and trigonometry?

Arc length is important in geometry and trigonometry because it helps determine the size and position of arcs in circles and other curved shapes. It is also used in the calculation of various properties, such as area and circumference.

4. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance and cannot have a negative value.

5. How can I use arc length to find the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle can be found by multiplying the arc length by the number of times the arc fits into the circle, which is also known as the arc's angular measure or central angle. So, C = nS, where C is the circumference, n is the number of times the arc fits into the circle, and S is the arc length.