What is the angular acceleration of a falling rod with two attached balls?

In summary, a thin, uniform bar with two balls attached at each end, weighing a total of 2.5kg, has a length of 90cm and is balanced in the center. When one ball falls off, the angular acceleration can be calculated using the equation τ=I*α, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. After correcting for the proper moment of inertia, the calculated value for α is 14.72 rads/sec^2.
zarentina

Homework Statement

A thin, uniform 3.60kg bar has two balls glued on either end, each with a weight of 2.5kg. The length of the rod is 90cm and is balanced in the center. When one ball falls off calculate the angular acceleration just after this happens. (e.g the rod is falling in a rotational motion)

Homework Equations

τ=I*α
τ=mg*r
I(rod)=1/12(mg*r)
I(ball)=mg*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm truly struggling with this, I began by finding the [itex]\Sigma[/itex]I=I(ball)+I(rod) which looked a little something like this: 1/12[(3.6*9.8)*.45]+(2.5*9.8)(.45) which resulted in a value of 5.5566.

Next I calculated the τ. ( i feel this is where i screwed something up) My logic was that the torque due to the bar wouldn't matter as it is a constant on either side regardless of ball or no ball. In lieu of this τ=m(ball)*9.8*.45=11.025. (this value absolutely has to be wrong)

After i got these values i subbed them into the initial τ=I*α to solve for α which I got to be 1.98m/s which is far from correct.

Anyone care to head me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Z

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to check again the formula for Moment of Inertia.

Well I found one mistake in my I(bar) I was using R instead of L. So my new calculated inertia is 7.34. Yet this still leaves me in square one, any other insight?

Looks like your torque is correct, but your I's are not. Correct for the proper moment of inertia which has units of kg-m^2.

Moments of inertia usually involve a mass multiplied by the square of a length. Units: kg-m2. There's no gravitational constant in there.

*sigh, if there has even been a /facedesk moment* My new value for the I= 1/12(3.6(.9^2))+(2.5(.45^2)) --> .243+.50625 = .74925. Setting this into the initial equation my values resulted in 11.025=.74925a solving for a yields a=14.72. Does this look correct or have a goofed up else where?

Thanks!

looks OK don't forget units for α, what are they?

rads/sec^2 correct?

zarentina said:
rads/sec^2 correct?
^^ Yes!:approve:

Related to What is the angular acceleration of a falling rod with two attached balls?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or pivot point. This type of motion is often seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and planets.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. Linear motion can be described using distance and speed, while rotational motion is described using angle and angular velocity.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second.

4. What is centripetal force in rotational motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of rotation and keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is necessary to maintain rotational motion and is equal to the mass of the object times its angular velocity squared, divided by the radius of the circle.

5. How does rotational inertia affect rotational motion?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The larger the rotational inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotation. This can be seen in objects such as spinning tops, which are more difficult to change the direction of when they have a larger rotational inertia.