What is term for DEQ that only has terms of a derivative?

In summary, a DEQ with constant coefficients and every term having a single factor that is a derivative is known as a linear, constant coefficient differential equation. Another term that could be used is "polydifferential".
swampwiz
For a DEQ like this:

y = y( x )

a y'''' + b y''' + c y'' + d y' + f y = g( x )

where a, b, c, d, f are constants.

I would think it would be called a "constant coefficient DEQ", but a DEQ like this would also be called this

a y y'' + b ( y' )2 = g( x )

but I am only interested in the term for a DEQ in which every term has a single factor that is a derivative.

If I were naming it, I would call it a "polydifferential" so that it would correspond with the term "polynomial", which of course is what the polydifferential would transform into after presuming the natural exponential function for y( x ).

Physics news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
For a DEQ like this:

y = y( x )

I would think it would be called a "constant coefficient DEQ", but a DEQ like this would also be called this

but I am only interested in the term for a DEQ in which every term has a single factor that is a derivative.

If I were naming it, I would call it a "polydifferential" so that it would correspond with the term "polynomial", which of course is what the polydifferential would transform into after presuming the natural exponential function for y( x ).
It is called a (ordinary) linear differential equation.
One can write it as linear equation
$$
\begin{bmatrix} a_0(x) , a_1(x) , \ldots , a_n(x) \end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} y^{(n)}(x) \\ y^{(n-1)}(x) \\ \vdots \\ y^0 (x) \end{bmatrix} = b(x)
$$

swampwiz said:

This one is a linear, constant coefficient, nonhomogeneous, fourth-order diff. equation.
Linear because all of the terms involve only the unknown function (y(x)) or its derivatives to the power 1, and because none of the dependent variables (i.e., y, y', y'', etc..) are multiplied together
Constant coefficient because all terms are multiplied only by constants.
Nonhomogeneous because of the g(x) term on the right side. (Moving to the left side doesn't change this.)
Fourth-order because the highest derivative is a fourth derivative.

swampwiz said:

This one is nonlinear because of the term with yy'' and because of the (y')2 term.
swampwiz said:
Your first example meets this requirement if a = b = c = d = 1, so that we could write it as ##y^{(4)} + y^{(3)} + y'' + y' + y = g(x)##

Mark44 said:
Your first example meets this requirement if a = b = c = d = 1, so that we could write it as ##y^{(4)} + y^{(3)} + y'' + y' + y = g(x)##

I meant to say only one non-constant factor.

OK, so it seems that this is called "linear, constant coefficient DEQ". But I like the term "polydifferential".

Related to What is term for DEQ that only has terms of a derivative?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is often used to analyze the slope or curvature of a curve at a specific point.

2. What does DEQ stand for?

DEQ stands for Differential Equation, which is an equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model natural phenomena.

3. What is a term for DEQ that only has terms of a derivative?

A DEQ that only has terms of a derivative is called a Homogeneous Differential Equation. This type of DEQ is useful for solving problems involving growth or decay, as well as in physics and engineering applications.

4. How is a Homogeneous Differential Equation different from a Non-Homogeneous Differential Equation?

A Homogeneous Differential Equation only has terms of derivatives, while a Non-Homogeneous Differential Equation also includes terms of the original function. This makes solving Non-Homogeneous DEQs more challenging, and often requires advanced techniques such as variation of parameters.

5. What are some real-life applications of Differential Equations?

Differential Equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and predict real-life phenomena. For example, they can be used to analyze the motion of objects, the growth of populations, the spread of diseases, and the behavior of financial markets.