What is needed from calc III for PDEs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary prerequisites for studying PDEs, which include ODEs, partial differentiation (including vector calculus), Fourier series/transforms, and Laplace transforms. The role of vector calculus in PDEs is also discussed, with examples such as the use of the laplacian, curl, and divergence operators in various PDEs. The professor also mentions the importance of reviewing solving ODEs using separation of variables and other methods.
anonymity
Title says it all :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what is in calc III and I can perhaps help you.
I personally think that to undertake a study of PDEs you should know the following:
1) ODEs
2) Partial differentiation including vector calculus
3) Fourier series/transforms
4) Laplace transforms

Once you know these 4 topics then you will be well armed for PDEs.

I know it was a while ago, but why vector calculus?

Everything else makes sense, but I don't see why vector analysis would be needed..could you elaborate?

The obvious general answer is that the partial differential operators laplacian, curl, divergence, and gradient themselves appear in actual PDEs. The easiest example would be to point to the role of the laplacian in the laplace, heat, and wave equations. Taking this example further, Stokes theorem, Green's identities, and in general vector calc identities are used to establish properties of the solutions to the aforementioned PDEs such as uniqueness, regularity, sign of eigenvalue, just to name a few.

The gradient appears (somewhat implicitly) often early on in basic PDEs such as [itex]u_x + u_y = u[/itex], where the method of characteristics is commonly used. Curl and divergence appear, for example, in Maxwell's equations and many nonlinear equations.

I recently asked the professor who will be teaching my PDE class this upcoming semester what I need to review, and she said: " What is really needed
is review of solving ODE's via separation of variables, integrating factor,
and solution of second-order constant coefficients homogeneous solutions."

Good luck!

Related to What is needed from calc III for PDEs?

1. What is the purpose of studying calc III for PDEs?

Calc III, also known as multivariable calculus, is needed for solving partial differential equations (PDEs) as it provides the necessary tools for understanding and manipulating functions of multiple variables. PDEs involve functions that have more than one independent variable, making calc III an essential foundation for tackling these equations.

2. What are some key concepts from calc III that are used in PDEs?

Some important concepts from calc III that are utilized in PDEs include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions and are crucial for solving PDEs.

3. How does calc III relate to other areas of math in the study of PDEs?

Calc III is closely related to other areas of math, such as linear algebra and differential equations, which are also important in the study of PDEs. Linear algebra is used for solving systems of equations, while differential equations are used to model physical phenomena and can be solved using methods learned in calc III.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calc III to solve PDEs?

Yes, a strong understanding of calc III is necessary for effectively solving PDEs. Without a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques learned in calc III, it can be challenging to manipulate and solve functions with multiple variables, which are essential in solving PDEs.

5. What are some real-world applications of PDEs that require knowledge of calc III?

PDEs have numerous real-world applications, including modeling heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and option pricing in finance. All of these applications involve functions with multiple variables, making a strong foundation in calc III essential for understanding and solving these problems.