Is Linear Algebra needed for PDEs?

In summary, it sounds like you will need to take Calculus III to take PDEs at your university. It is recommended that you take ODEs before taking Calc III, but it is not a requirement. Partial derivatives are easy to learn, and you will need vector calculus for the gradient and other operations. ODEs are a good prerequisite for Calculus III, and Calculus III is a good prerequisite for ODEs.
jessfalling
Hello, this is my first post!

I am interested in studying PDEs (heat/wave equations, etc.). At my university, the only listed prereq. for PDEs is ODEs, which can be taken after Calc II. So, essentially, one could enroll in PDEs without taking Calc III, but I am not sure if that would be wise?? I am hoping for some insight regarding the proper preparation for the PDEs course. Also, is Linear Algebra needed?

If Calc III is not needed for it I may postpone taking it until after PDEs due to scheduling issues.

Thank you!

Jess

Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider it a pre-requisite even for ordinary differential equations. For example, you need Calculus III to solve first order "exact" equations.

Yes, you usually need calc III for PDE's. The very definition of PDE's requires partial derivatives and this requires calc III.
I have a hard time seeing why your uni doesn't demand it as a prereq.

Could you post the course contents?

what exactly is Calc I-III?
I'm not american so I have no idea what's in those courses yet I hear their names thrown about all over the place :(

genericusrnme said:
what exactly is Calc I-III?
I'm not american so I have no idea what's in those courses yet I hear their names thrown about all over the place :(

Haha, I feel your pain. It took me a long time to find out what each thing is as well a non-american :biggrin:

I think it is:
- Calc I: limits, continuity, derivatives, basic integrals
- Calc II: Integrals (integration by substitution and parts), series, improper integrals
- Calc III: multivariable thingies

micromass said:
I think it is:
- Calc II: Integrals (integration by substitution and parts), series, improper integrals
That's exactly it basically. Calc III at most universities covers vector calculus too.

I don't know how your school can't require calc III.

1) As micro said, PARTIAL differential equations requires an understanding of partial derivatives.
2) But then, there are multidimensional integrals, directional derivatives, fundamental theorems of vector calc, etc.

You need multivariable and vector calc.

micromass said:
Could you post the course contents?

Here's the full course description: Partial differential equations, separation of variables, orthogonal sets of functions, Sturm-Liouville problems, Fourier series, boundary value problems for the wave equation, heat equation, and Laplace equation; Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials.

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far! It sounds like I need to take Calc III.

HallsofIvy said:
You should consider it a pre-requisite even for ordinary differential equations. For example, you need Calculus III to solve first order "exact" equations.
This isn't exactly true, I am doing ODE's right now and I've yet to have Calculus 3. Learning partial derivatives is pretty easy, would be hard to go through ODE's without learning partial derivatives at least once. Treating a variable as a constant while finding a derivative isn't exactly something that requires several hours to learn.

I'd say ODE's is a good prerequisite for Calculus 3, and Calculus 3 is a good prerequisite for ODE's.

ODE's are a good requirement for PDE's, but I would definitely take calculus 3 before PDE's.

Last edited:
I did ODE's without Cal. III with ease. The overlap was minimal and if someone has done Cal. I and II and does not understand partial derivatives within a matter of minutes there is a deeper underlying problem.

Also, I was able to solve conservative fields as a result of having learned ODE (exact equations). It doesn't matter which you learn first--the process is pretty much the same either way.

jessfalling said:
Here's the full course description: Partial differential equations, separation of variables, orthogonal sets of functions, Sturm-Liouville problems, Fourier series, boundary value problems for the wave equation, heat equation, and Laplace equation; Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials.

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far! It sounds like I need to take Calc III.

You will need the vector calculus side of calc 3 for sure because you'll be using the gradient a LOT based on that description. Besides vector calc, be sure to know your ODEs. What you will find out is that you will be turning a lot of PDEs into a system of ODEs. For the multivariable calc side, I recall doing a few multivarible integrals, but only a few. Also, be sure to know some linear algebra (eigenvalues/eigenvectors) and a little analysis as you will need to prove some theorems (in my class anyway).

To sum it all up: Know your vector calc (gradients mainly), ODEs, mutlivariable integrals, eigenvalues/vectors and a little analysis.

Good luck.

micromass said:
Haha, I feel your pain. It took me a long time to find out what each thing is as well a non-american :biggrin:

I think it is:

Micro, out of curiosity, don't people have three courses in calculus in Belgium? I know we have in most uni's in the Netherlands (although I assumed the contents differed by country, what you posted comes pretty close).

Hobin said:
Micro, out of curiosity, don't people have three courses in calculus in Belgium? I know we have in most uni's in the Netherlands (although I assumed the contents differed by country, what you posted comes pretty close).

In my uni, we had a semester of single variable calculus and a semester of multivariable. So we have 2 calc courses in uni.
Of course, we already saw calculus in high school as well. So the calculus in our uni was more analysis.

My school requires Calc III for ODEs. As for PDEs, is Calc III when partial derivatives are taught or am I remembering wrong?

Yes you usually first see partial derivatives in a multivariable calculus class, which is usually dubbed "calc 3"

And yes, you need to understand multiple integration and partial derivatives to do PDE's.

Related to Is Linear Algebra needed for PDEs?

1. Is Calc III a prerequisite for PDEs?

Yes, most universities require students to complete Calculus III before taking a course in Partial Differential Equations (PDEs). This is because PDEs involve advanced concepts and techniques that build upon the foundations laid in Calculus III.

2. What topics from Calc III are necessary for PDEs?

The main topics from Calculus III that are necessary for PDEs include multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and partial derivatives. These concepts are used to understand and solve PDEs, which involve functions of multiple variables and their partial derivatives.

3. Can I skip Calc III and still take PDEs?

It is not recommended to skip Calc III and go straight to PDEs, as you may struggle to understand the material without a strong foundation in Calculus III. Additionally, most universities have Calc III listed as a prerequisite for PDEs, so you may not be allowed to enroll in the course without completing Calc III first.

4. Is Calc III the only math course needed for PDEs?

No, while Calc III is an important prerequisite for PDEs, there are other math courses that may also be necessary depending on the specific program or university. These may include courses in linear algebra, differential equations, and real analysis.

5. Can I take PDEs without taking Calc III if I have a strong math background?

It is possible to take PDEs without taking Calc III if you have a strong math background and have already covered the necessary topics in Calculus III. However, it is still recommended to take Calc III to ensure you have a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques needed for PDEs.