What Chapters in Thomas' Calculus Would Calc I be?

Ascendant0
I'm trying to pace myself to get up to speed with my calc and physics before going back to college. It's been so long that I don't know how much we got up to in calc I. Can someone tell me what chapter in Thomas Calculus does calc I go up to, or do they cover the whole thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Calc 1 covers differentiation and uses of derivatives so I think that is chapters 1 thru 4

Chapter 5 covers integration and would be a part of Calc 2

https://catalog.lib.uchicago.edu/vufind/Record/7928570/TOC
Thanks for the information. I thought integrals were covered in Calc 1 to at least some extent, and then further in depth in Calc 2? I certainly could be wrong though. It's been about eight years since I've looked at this stuff. I'm so rusty with some of it. Some is coming fairly easy, some is a bit challenging to fully grasp again.

Ascendant0 said:
I thought integrals were covered in Calc 1 to at least some extent, and then further in depth in Calc 2
Different schools and different textbooks might or might not cover a brief introduction to integration in the first calculus course. There's also the matter that some schools run a calculus sequence in two semesters while others might run it over a period of three quarters.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Ascendant0, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Typically up to integration, but only the case for simple functions like polynomial functions and basic u-sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PhDeezNutz and Ascendant0
According to their published syllabus, the university of Georgia course in calc 1, math 2250, a one semester course, covers through chapter 5.6 of Thomas' University Calculus; this includes differential and integral calculus, fundamental theorem, basic antiderivatives, and applications.
https://www.math.uga.edu/sites/default/files/inline-files/Proposed2250Department (2).pdf

Last time I taught it there, I also covered area and volumes by slicing, which seems to be in the early sections of chapter 6.

Last edited:
In contrast, I took courses in the 1970s under a trimester system (10 weeks per session), where Calc 1 covered everything about differential calculus, Calc 2 covered integral calculus of one variable, with simple volumes of revolution included, and Calc 3 covered multi-variable calculus.

We weren't allowed to start introductory Physics 1 until we had completed Calc 1, which was devastating for an aspiring physics major.

Likes PhDeezNutz