What is the Definition of Knowledge?

• Thread starter Graeme M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the speaker posed a question about the concept of 'mind' on a Biology forum but was unable to find a shared understanding of the topic. They searched for other forums but did not find a suitable place to post the question. After considering philosophy and cognitive science forums, the speaker asks for a definition of knowledge and if it can be scientifically discussed.
Graeme M
I posed a question about 'mind' on the Biology forum the other day and was frustrated that I didn't seem to make sense to anyone else, at least not sense in the way I was thinking. I've thought about it a fair bit because clearly my own thinking is in error, but without a shared understanding of what I was driving at it's hard to see exactly why.

I dug around a few other forum sites and didn't find anywhere that seemed suitable to post the question. It seems from some of what was said on my earlier thread that my question strays into philosophy or perhaps cognitive science. I have spent some time on philosophy forums and while interesting the downside seems to be that commentary becomes exceptionally dense and not grounded in facts so I think I will give that a miss for the moment. I couldn't quickly find any cognitive science forums that would suit someone like me with very limited background knowledge of the subject.

Someone suggested posting here in General Discussion but I am not certain that my question wouldn't still be deemed inappropriate. So I'll take a different tack.

What is knowledge? Is there a clear scientific definition for it? Is it even scientific to talk about knowledge?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of knowledge?

Knowledge can be defined as the understanding, awareness, or familiarity with facts, information, skills, or concepts acquired through experience, education, or reasoning.

2. How is knowledge different from belief?

Belief is a mental acceptance that something is true or real without necessarily having proof or evidence to support it. Knowledge, on the other hand, is based on evidence, facts, or understanding gained through experience or education.

3. Can knowledge be subjective?

Yes, knowledge can be subjective as it is influenced by personal experiences, beliefs, and perspectives. What one person considers as knowledge may not be the same for another person.

4. What is the importance of knowledge in society?

Knowledge is essential in society as it allows individuals to make informed decisions, solve problems, and adapt to new situations. It also plays a crucial role in advancements in science, technology, and culture.

5. How is knowledge acquired?

Knowledge can be acquired through various means such as observation, experience, education, and communication with others. It can also be gained through self-reflection and critical thinking.