Is there physics knowledge hidden to public domain?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of certain knowledge being hidden from the public, particularly in the fields of military and pharmaceutical research. However, the individuals in the conversation dispute this idea, stating that most scientific knowledge is in the public domain and can be accessed through tools such as supercomputers. They also mention a book that documents historical examples of confidential research being made public. The conversation ends with a reminder that conspiracy theories are not allowed on the forum.
jonjacson
I was wondering if our governments hide us some knowledge. Military industry for sure, but What about physics?

Is all the knowledge public?

I include in my question biology. I am sure that the richest people in this planet are investing right now hundreds or thousands of billions researching how to be immortal and I'm sure they are not publishing obviously the results of these investigations.

Science at this moment in time provides enough tools to investigate this topic: there are supercomputers able to calculate anything, and a massive biological and chemical knowledge.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Technology yes, pure science no - there is very little, if any, pure science that is outside the public domain. Pharmaceuticals hide the new compounds and gene sequences they are making early on in the investigation, but in order for a medicine to be approved they have to publicly test them (and by then, they have a patent application out). But the methods they use to make these things are in the public domain.

Stealth technology was originally based on a Soviet research paper that the USSR might have censored if they realized what it would lead to. It spawned technology that was secret for probably a decade before others were able to start copying it.

[edit] Also, "immortality" is too vague of a concept to be researched specifically and the more grounded lines of research (such as: why do we age?) are in the public domain.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Technology yes, pure science no - there is very little, if any, pure science that is outside the public domain. Pharmaceuticals hide the new compounds and gene sequences they are making early on in the investigation, but in order for a medicine to be approved they have to publicly test them (and by then, they have a patent application out). But the methods they use to make these things are in the public domain.

Stealth technology was originally based on a Soviet research paper that the USSR might have censored if they realized what it would lead to. It spawned technology that was secret for probably a decade before others were able to start copying it.

[edit] Also, "immortality" is too vague of a concept to be researched specifically and the more grounded lines of research (such as: why do we age?) are in the public domain.

Regarding aging I think that this methods:

http://bioviva-science.com/2016/04/24/anti-aging-gene-therapy-has-the-time-arrived-for-true-anti-aging-medicine/

Probably are not the "cutting edge" technology, maybe there is something even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if it's hidden, how would you expect to find out about it on internet?

Likes Sophia
jonjacson said:
Regarding aging I think that this methods:

http://bioviva-science.com/2016/04/24/anti-aging-gene-therapy-has-the-time-arrived-for-true-anti-aging-medicine/

Probably are not the "cutting edge" technology, maybe there is something even better.

This is neither here nor there.

Coming back to the on-topic discussion, the answer is "No".

Zz.

nasu said:
Well, if it's hidden, how would you expect to find out about it on internet?

I don't expect to find about it, I expected to share my conspiracy theories with other paranoid folks just to have a good time.

ZapperZ said:
This is neither here nor there.

Coming back to the on-topic discussion, the answer is "No".

Zz.

Ok.

jonjacson said:
I don't expect to find about it, I expected to share my conspiracy theories with other paranoid folks just to have a good time.

Then you're at the wrong place. Those "other paranoid folks" have been banned or do not stay very long in this forum, due to this PF Rule that you had agreed to:

PF Rules said:
Conspiracy Theories & Closed Topics:
Discussion of conspiracy theories and certain perennial pseudoscience topics that have been "debunked" beyond any reasonable doubt are not allowed anywhere on the site. A list of such closed topics can be found in the post below.

So you may have to find your "good time" elsewhere.

Zz.

I was just kidding.

I was curious about this topic. That is all.

I am not telling things like man didn't go to the moon or something like that.

jonjacson said:
Science at this moment in time provides enough tools to investigate this topic: there are supercomputers able to calculate anything, and a massive biological and chemical knowledge.

What do you think?

There aren't enough supercomputers available to deal with the overall back flow of data as it is. Most certainly cannot compute just anything. We aren't near understanding immortality when we aren't always sure of the exact mechanism/pathways that some pharmaceuticals act upon, we can know that many things just work, but not always how.

Why are you worried about what other people might be doing instead of learning about what we actually know? Maybe your paranoia stems from not being aware of general available knowledge?

The example that I have in mind is much of the rocket and liquid propellant research from the 50's through the '70s.
There was great pressure to come up with ever more efficient oxidizers for mono-propellants. Much of this research was done by the military and they would keep their research confidential, at least until it was duplicated and published by an open civilian source.

This is entertainingly documented in _Ignition_ by John D. Clark , an informal history of liquid propellant research. A fun book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Drury_Clark

_Ignition_ by chapter
http://mikea.ath.cx/Ignition/

The whole thing:
http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

Print copy (expensive):
http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/ignition/author/john-clark/

--diogenesNY

jonjacson said:
Conspiracy theories and related nonsense are not allowed at the PF.
Forbidden Topics said:
Conspiracy Theories & Closed Topics:

Discussion of conspiracy theories and certain perennial pseudoscience topics that have been "debunked" beyond any reasonable doubt are not allowed anywhere on the site. A list of such closed topics can be found in the post below.

Related to Is there physics knowledge hidden to public domain?

1. What is meant by "hidden physics knowledge"?

"Hidden physics knowledge" refers to information and theories in the field of physics that have not been widely disseminated or made accessible to the general public. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as the complexity of the concepts or the limitations of current technology.

2. Why would physics knowledge be hidden from the public domain?

There are a few reasons why physics knowledge may not be readily available to the public. One reason is that some concepts in physics are very complex and difficult for non-experts to understand. Another reason is that some research findings may be considered classified or proprietary, and therefore not available for public consumption. Additionally, some theories and ideas in physics are still being developed and tested, and may not yet be ready for widespread dissemination.

3. Is there a deliberate effort to keep physics knowledge hidden from the public?

No, there is no deliberate effort to keep physics knowledge hidden from the public. However, as mentioned earlier, there are valid reasons why some knowledge may not be widely accessible. Scientists and researchers are constantly working to make their findings and theories more comprehensible to the general public through popular science books and articles.

4. How can the public access hidden physics knowledge?

The best way for the public to access hidden physics knowledge is through educational institutions, such as universities and colleges. These institutions often have access to journals and publications that contain the latest research and findings in the field of physics. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as open-access journals and science websites, that provide access to physics knowledge for free.

5. Are there any potential consequences of keeping physics knowledge hidden from the public?

There can be potential consequences of not making physics knowledge accessible to the public. For instance, if the public is not aware of the latest research and developments in physics, they may not fully understand the implications and applications of these findings. This can lead to misunderstandings and misinformation about scientific concepts, which can have societal and economic impacts. Moreover, limiting access to knowledge can hinder progress and innovation in the field of physics.