What is an Empirical Distribution and How to Calculate its Variance?

• Thread starter newbiewannabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the problem is asking for the variance of the empirical distribution of the number of accidents per year. The solution involves finding the average of the data and using it to calculate the 2nd central moment, or the variance. The definition of empirical distribution is not clear, but as long as the calculations are correct, the answer should be accurate.
newbiewannabe

Homework Statement

I'm given data for 5 years of number of accidents. The problem asks about the Variance of the empirical distribution of the number of accidents per year.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what an empirical distribution means. I wasn't able to find a good example or definition online. At first I went and just found the average (total accidents / 5) and then used that to find the 2nd central moment, or the variance. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to do it. The part that confuses me is the empirical distribution part of it. If someone could clarify if I'm on the right track or what an empirical distribution is, that'd be great. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
newbiewannabe said:

Homework Statement

I'm given data for 5 years of number of accidents. The problem asks about the Variance of the empirical distribution of the number of accidents per year.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what an empirical distribution means. I wasn't able to find a good example or definition online. At first I went and just found the average (total accidents / 5) and then used that to find the 2nd central moment, or the variance. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to do it. The part that confuses me is the empirical distribution part of it. If someone could clarify if I'm on the right track or what an empirical distribution is, that'd be great. Thanks for any help.

It is just asking for the variance of the data sample.

So is the way I did it at first correct?

newbiewannabe said:
So is the way I did it at first correct?

I don't know, since you did not show your work. However, if your calculations are correct, and the problem statement was exactly as you said it was, then the answer will be OK, too.

Okay sounds good. I think I got it figured out. Thanks for your help.

Related to What is an Empirical Distribution and How to Calculate its Variance?

1. What is an empirical distribution?

An empirical distribution is a probability distribution that is based on observations or data from a particular sample. It is often used to estimate the probability distribution of a population when the exact distribution is unknown.

2. How is an empirical distribution different from a theoretical distribution?

An empirical distribution is based on actual data, while a theoretical distribution is based on mathematical models or assumptions. Empirical distributions are often used in situations where theoretical distributions may not accurately represent the data.

3. How is an empirical distribution calculated?

An empirical distribution is created by sorting the data from smallest to largest and then assigning a probability to each value based on its frequency in the sample. The cumulative probability is then calculated for each value, resulting in a probability distribution.

4. What is the purpose of an empirical distribution?

An empirical distribution is used to estimate the probability distribution of a population when the exact distribution is unknown. It can also be used to compare the observed data to a theoretical distribution or to test hypotheses about the data.

5. Can an empirical distribution be used to make predictions?

Yes, an empirical distribution can be used to make predictions about future observations or events. However, the accuracy of these predictions may be limited by the size and representativeness of the sample used to create the distribution.