Expected value and variance of a conditional pdf (I think I have it)

In summary, the mean of X2 is 1/2 and the variance is 5/12, calculated using the expected value of the conditional distribution and the variance of the random variable X1.
phiiota

Homework Statement

Suppose the distribution of X2 conditional on X1=x1 is N(x1,x12), and that the marginal distribution of X1 is U(0,1). Find the mean and variance of X2.

Homework Equations

Theorem: [tex]E(X_{2})=E_{1}(E_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))[/tex]
[tex]Var(X_{2})=V_{1}(E_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))+E_{1}(V_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand the above right, which I'm not sure I do, in words, the first part says that the expected value of X2 is going to be the expected value of the conditional function. Here, the expected value of X2|X1 is X1, itself a random variable, and the expected value of that is 1/2 (just the expected value of the marginal uniform distribution.
The second part, a little trickier for me, is the same idea, I'm finding the variance of the random variable X1 (which is the expected value of the conditional distribution X2, and that is 1/12. Then I add that to the expected value of the variance of the conditional distribution. That variable is X1^2, which is equal to the variance of X1 plus the mean of X1 squared.
Am I understanding this right?

Long story short, E(X2)=1/2, Var(X2)= 5/12 (this part is 1/12 + 1/12 + (1/2)^2

Sorry, I hope this is readable.b]

Physics news on Phys.org
5/12 looks right to me.

Awesome, thanks. This concept took me a little while to get, but I think I got it. It's not very hard, but my book is kind of vague.

phiiota said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the distribution of X2 conditional on X1=x1 is N(x1,x12), and that the marginal distribution of X1 is U(0,1). Find the mean and variance of X2.

Homework Equations

Theorem: [tex]E(X_{2})=E_{1}(E_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))[/tex]
[tex]Var(X_{2})=V_{1}(E_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))+E_{1}(V_{2|1}(X_{2}|X_{1}))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I understand the above right, which I'm not sure I do, in words, the first part says that the expected value of X2 is going to be the expected value of the conditional function. Here, the expected value of X2|X1 is X1, itself a random variable, and the expected value of that is 1/2 (just the expected value of the marginal uniform distribution.
The second part, a little trickier for me, is the same idea, I'm finding the variance of the random variable X1 (which is the expected value of the conditional distribution X2, and that is 1/12. Then I add that to the expected value of the variance of the conditional distribution. That variable is X1^2, which is equal to the variance of X1 plus the mean of X1 squared.
Am I understanding this right?

Long story short, E(X2)=1/2, Var(X2)= 5/12 (this part is 1/12 + 1/12 + (1/2)^2

Sorry, I hope this is readable.b]

To understand the above, just think of X1 as discrete (and X2 may be discrete, continuous or mixed). Then
[tex] E\,X_2 = \sum_{x_1} P\{ X_1 = x_1 \} \, E(X_2 |X_1 = x_1), \\
E\,X_2^2 = \sum_{x_1} P\{ X_1 = x_1 \} \, E(X_2^2 |X_1 = x_1),\\
\text{Var}(X_2) = E\,X_2^2 - (E\, X_2)^2.[/tex]
When X1 is continuous, just replace a sum by an integral, etc.

In your case X2|X1=x1 ~ N(x1,x1^2) and X1~U(0,1), so
[tex] E\,X_2 = \int_0^1 x_1 \, dx_1 = 1/2,[/tex] as you said, and
[tex] E(X_2^2 |X_1 = x_1) = \text{Var}(X_2|X_1=x_1) + (E(X_2|X_1=x_1))^2 =
2 x_1^2,\\
\Longrightarrow \text{Var}(X_2) = \int_0^1 2x_1^2 \, dx_1 - (1/2)^2 = 5/12,[/tex]
as you also stated. Personally, I prefer this last way of getting the variance, as opposed to using the formulas you gave. However, either way works if you are careful.

RGV

Related to Expected value and variance of a conditional pdf (I think I have it)

1. What is the difference between expected value and variance?

The expected value of a conditional probability distribution is the average value that is expected to be obtained from a random variable. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and summing up all the products. On the other hand, the variance is a measure of how spread out the data points are from the expected value. It is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the expected value, divided by the total number of data points. Essentially, the expected value tells us the central tendency of the data, while the variance tells us the variability of the data.

2. How is the expected value and variance of a conditional pdf calculated?

The expected value of a conditional probability distribution is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding conditional probability and summing up all the products. Similarly, the variance is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the expected value, multiplied by its corresponding conditional probability, and divided by the total number of data points.

3. Why is understanding the expected value and variance important in science?

The expected value and variance are important in science because they allow us to make predictions and draw conclusions from data that follows a conditional probability distribution. They provide us with a measure of central tendency and variability, which are essential in analyzing and interpreting data. Additionally, they are used in various statistical tests and models to make informed decisions and draw meaningful conclusions.

4. Can the expected value and variance change in a conditional pdf?

Yes, the expected value and variance can change in a conditional probability distribution. This is because the values of the conditional probability distribution are affected by the conditions or constraints imposed on the data. For example, if we are looking at the expected value and variance of a set of data for male and female participants separately, the values will be different for each group due to the different conditions (gender) involved.

5. How do we interpret the expected value and variance in a conditional pdf?

The expected value and variance in a conditional probability distribution can be interpreted in the same way as in a regular probability distribution. The expected value tells us the average value that is expected to be obtained from a random variable, while the variance tells us how spread out the data points are from the expected value. Additionally, in a conditional probability distribution, the expected value and variance can vary depending on the conditions or constraints applied to the data, which is important to consider when interpreting the results.