What is an easy way to solve this partial differential equation?

In summary, the person is trying to solve a partial differential equation and is looking for an easy way to do so. They suggest combining the differentials on the right side of the equation, but are unable to find a way to do so. However, they eventually figure out how to combine the differentials and solve the equation by taking the derivative of the given equation.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have this partial differential equation that I have to solve, and I thought that perhaps there was an easy way of solving this, like finding an equivalent differential for the right hand side of the equation, on such a way that I could get a simple differential equation, and then just integrating I could solve this.

The partial differential equation that I have to solve is this:

[tex]d \left( \frac{\mu}{T} \right )=ud(A^{-1/2}u^{-3/4}v^{1/2})+vd(2A^{-1/2}v^{-1/2}u^{1/4})[/tex]

Is there an easy way for solving this? the idea I had was to merge both differentials on the right side in only one differential, but I couldn't find the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. I think I got it. This is what I have done:
[tex]d \left( \frac{\mu}{T} \right )=ud(A^{-1/2}u^{-3/4}v^{1/2})+vd(2A^{-1/2}v^{-1/2}u^{1/4})[/tex]

So I took
[tex]d(A^{-1/2}u^{-3/4}v^{1/2})=A^{-1/2}(-\frac{3}{4}u^{-7/4}v^{1/2}du+\frac{1}{2}u^{-3/4}v^{-1/2}dv)[/tex]
And in the other hand:
[tex]d(2A^{-1/2}u^{1/4}v^{-1/2})=A^{-1/2}(\frac{1}{2}u^{-7/4}v^{1/2}du+u^{1/4}v^{-3/2}dv)[/tex]

Then
[tex]d \left( \frac{\mu}{T} \right )=ud(A^{-1/2}u^{-3/4}v^{1/2})+vd(2A^{-1/2}v^{-1/2}u^{1/4})=A^{-1/2}(-\frac{3}{4}u^{-7/4}v^{1/2}du+\frac{1}{2}u^{-3/4}v^{-1/2}dv+\frac{1}{2}u^{-7/4}v^{1/2}du+u^{1/4}v^{-3/2}dv)[/tex]
[tex]d \left( \frac{\mu}{T} \right )=A^{-1/2}[ -\frac{1}{4}u^{-3/4}v^{1/2}du-\frac{1}{2}u^{1/4}v^{-1/2}dv]=-\frac{1}{4}[u^{-3/4}v^{1/2}du+2u^{1/4}v^{-1/2}dv]=-A^{-1/2}d(u^{1/4}v^{1/2})[/tex]

Related to What is an easy way to solve this partial differential equation?

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that contains multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between these variables and how they change over time or space.

2. What are the applications of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and finance, to model and analyze complex systems. They are particularly useful in understanding phenomena that involve continuous changes, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population growth.

3. What are the main types of partial differential equations?

The main types of partial differential equations are elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Elliptic equations describe steady-state problems, parabolic equations describe problems involving time-dependent phenomena, and hyperbolic equations describe problems involving wave-like behavior.

4. How are partial differential equations solved?

Solving partial differential equations can be a complex process and often requires advanced mathematical techniques. Some common methods include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods.

5. What are some real-world examples of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations are used in many real-world applications, such as predicting weather patterns, designing aircraft wings, and modeling the spread of diseases. They are also used in financial modeling to predict stock prices and in image processing to enhance and analyze images.