What is a good number of graduate schools to apply to?

In summary, if you have about 10 schools that you are interested in, applying to all of them may take twice as much time as applying to 5 schools. However, if you are able to winnow out a few of them, you will save both time and money.
xbomber88
I have about 10 schools that I'm interested in but I think that may be too many and maybe I should narrow it down to like 6 or 7. Is 10 too many or should I just go ahead and apply to all of them? Would applying to 10 schools take twice as much of my time as applying to 5 or would it just take a little bit longer to apply to 10 schools than 5?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that it also costs money to apply to these schools. If you're able to winnow out a few of them, you'll save both time and money.

I presume you're doing the tried-and-true method of applying to a few "safe" schools that you're confident you will make, a few that are a bit of a stretch, and maybe one or two long shots.

If so, I think 6 or 7 is a good number. Like Jack mentioned, each application will cost a bit of $ so keep that in mind.

I think the bulk of time will go to writing your essay, getting letters of recommendation, ordering transcripts, that sort of thing. So applying to 10 won't take twice as long as applying to 5.

Caveat: there can be great variation between colleges in the length of application forms, so what I said could be way off!

If you are least bothered about money: Apply to all the "target schools" in your case 10 of them, 2-3 "safety schools" and "2-3" "above-the-target-schools"(if they do not fall under your target schools)!

If you do care about money: Apply to 2 safety schools, 5 target schools and 2 above the target schools(if they do not fall under your target schools)!

P.S: Before applying to any of the schools, do as much research as possible about the possibility of your success of application, ask your seniors, professors, email the current students and ask them about their background, scores, etc,. MONEY MATTERS!

I understand the pressure to apply to as many graduate schools as possible in order to increase your chances of acceptance. However, it is important to carefully consider the quality of your applications rather than just the quantity. Applying to a large number of schools may spread your resources and time thin, potentially resulting in weaker applications. It is important to focus on the schools that align with your research interests and have strong programs in your field.

I would suggest narrowing down your list to 6 or 7 schools that truly stand out to you, and dedicating the time and effort to crafting strong and personalized applications for each one. This will not only increase your chances of acceptance, but also demonstrate your genuine interest in the program.

Furthermore, applying to 10 schools may take twice as much of your time as applying to 5, as each application will require thorough research, writing, and editing. It is important to give yourself enough time to complete each application and not rush through them.

In conclusion, quality over quantity is key when it comes to graduate school applications. Carefully select a smaller number of schools that best fit your academic and research goals and put your best effort into those applications. Best of luck in your graduate school journey.

Related to What is a good number of graduate schools to apply to?

1. What is considered a good number of graduate schools to apply to?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it varies depending on individual circumstances. Generally, it is recommended to apply to 3-5 schools, but some students may apply to 10 or more.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding how many graduate schools to apply to?

Some important factors to consider include your academic qualifications and competitiveness, the reputation and ranking of the schools, program availability and fit, location and cost of attendance, and your personal preferences and goals.

3. Is it better to apply to a larger or smaller number of graduate schools?

Again, this depends on your individual situation. Applying to a larger number of schools may increase your chances of acceptance, but it also means more time and effort spent on each application and potentially higher application fees. It is important to find a balance that works for you.

4. Can I apply to too many graduate schools?

Yes, it is possible to apply to too many graduate schools. This can be overwhelming and may result in lower quality applications. It is important to carefully research and select a manageable number of schools that you are genuinely interested in.

5. How can I determine the right number of graduate schools to apply to?

It is recommended to create a list of potential schools and then narrow it down based on your qualifications, preferences, and goals. Consult with your advisors and peers, and consider attending graduate fairs or reaching out to schools directly to gather more information. Ultimately, the right number of graduate schools to apply to is the number that you feel confident and satisfied with.