What institution allow you to do research in physics for the rest of your life?

In summary: I won't say "slowly" because working on something for many years is not "slowly" but it's possible to work on something for many years and still publish some articles on the way. Thanks for the info!In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in research in physics after completing a Phd. The options for research include institutions such as the CNRS in France, CONICET in Argentina, and national laboratories in the US. However, there is a high pressure to publish regularly, with an average of 4 papers per year for researchers at Brookhaven's theory group. The conversation also touches on the possibility of working on long-term projects and the benefits of breaking them into stages for publication
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm only at the end of the second year (out of 5) of a physics bachelor. I plan on to do a Phd although I've absolutely no idea in which area (and I know the admission will be very hard). After the Phd I'd like to do research for the rest of my life. Is that possible in the US?
For example in France there is the CNRS (national center of scientific research) and once you get in (extremely hard), you have very few obligations to accomplish. By this I mean that one does not have to publish every year or so. Alain Connes said that a mathematician can work his whole life on a single problem, contrarily as in the US where, according to him, one has a lot more pressure to publish, resulting in papers of lesser quality. (I'm not criticizing the US system, I just repeat what I've read in an interview of Alain Connes).

In Argentina there exist the CONICET which seems very similar to the French CNRS. Most my current professors work at the CONICET and I believe they're all experimentalists. Once one has entered the CONICET, there's not a big pressure to publish. You could think that it's not good because a researcher could get lazy, but I think they're serious and publish regularly. (According to what I've seen at my University).

I'm curious if there exist similar institutions/centers in the US (or Canada or any other country) that allow you to study in most branches of physics (including theoretical physics) and where you could publish once in 2 or 3 years or even more if you're working on a long project.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the UK we have the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory: http://www.stfc.ac.uk/About/Conts/Find/RAL/Introduction.aspx" . I'm not too sure of any others, but there aren't as many as in the US, that's for sure. Most stuff if just done in University-run centres.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two parts to the OP's question:
1. Where can one do research full time?
2. Where can one do research full time, and go years between publications.

The National Labs are a good answer to #1, but I fear the answer to #2, unless you've got a Nobel Prize or a Fields Medal, is "nowhere". If you want to be paid, you have a boss. If you have a boss, he wants to know what you are doing. If you're publishing papers every 2 or 3 years, that looks an awful lot like "nothing".

Looking at a few people at different career stages in Brookhaven's theory group, I see the following publication rates:
  • Dr. A: 4.7/year.
  • Dr. B: 6.1/year
  • Dr. C: 2.4/year
  • Dr. D: 4.8/year
  • Dr. E: 4.3/year

Indeed, I would count on more pressure to produce at the Labs rather than less. Lab theorists cost the DoE six times as much as university theorists (because the DoE is paying twelve months of salary rather than two) And since these are some of the few full-time research jobs, competition is intense. If you aren't producing, you need a good reason for your boss not to replace you with someone who is.

Likes jim mcnamara
Thanks for the last 2 replies. That's useful information.
I'm really impressed by the number of publications of the professors at Brookhaven.
And yes, Vanadium, I basically asked the 2 questions you pointed out. I may add a few ones : where can one work on unification theories such as ST or LQG? I would consider those as a theoretical part of physics although their implications have not been verified yet.
Is the answer : at any University? If I'm not wrong, I've heard that there are many researchers on LQG at Waterloo, Canada. Do they have the pressure to publish a couple of papers a year? Are their research purely (100%) theoretical so that there's absolutely no experiment involved to test their predictions? Lastly, do they have to do research on other branches of physics where their predictions can be more easily verified?

Perimeter authors published 152 papers last year. This is from maybe 40 or so people - so just under 4 papers per person per year.

Being a great theoretical physicist who doesn't publish any papers is like being a great ballplayer who doesn't play any games.

Vanadium 50 said:
Perimeter authors published 152 papers last year. This is from maybe 40 or so people - so just under 4 papers per person per year.

Being a great theoretical physicist who doesn't publish any papers is like being a great ballplayer who doesn't play any games.

I see your point. What do you mean by perimeter authors?

fluidistic said:
What do you mean by perimeter authors?

Authors of papers who gave The Perimeter Institute as their affiliation when publishing.

Vanadium 50 said:
Authors of papers who gave The Perimeter Institute as their affiliation when publishing.

Ok thanks.
I see that activeness is very important wherever you are. Thanks for clarifying. I wonder if one finds time to work on a single problem/project for years if you're almost obligated to publish as soon as you can.

fluidistic said:
I wonder if one finds time to work on a single problem/project for years if you're almost obligated to publish as soon as you can.

Many large projects are divided into stages with publications at each stage. This has several advantages
-Increase in publications for researchers.
-Results and methods can be checked, used and improved by others.
-Managable length, few Journals accept 10 000 page articles.

lurflurf said:
Many large projects are divided into stages with publications at each stage. This has several advantages

Ah ok, so it's possible to work on a single long subject, dividing it by stages. Nice to know.
I feel I'm so ignorant about all this, that's funny.

The other thing is that at most research institutes, pretty much all of the papers are co-authored so that reduces publication pressure. Also, you have more time to publish papers since you aren't teaching classes.

The reason paper publication is important is to that when it comes time to ask for more money, and the funders ask "so what did you do with the $X we gave you last time" you have something to show them.

Also publication in the physical sciences is much easier than social sciences. The main reason is that the peer reviewers don't see themselves as major gatekeepers so as long as you have something not totally crazy, it will eventually pass peer review. (The acceptance rate for Ap.J. is something like 70%.)

In the social sciences, the journal peer reviewers *do* consider themselves gatekeepers, so that the publication rate is low and painful and IMHO much more political.

In the physical sciences, the real gatekeepers are the funding committees and the allocation committees. There is a strong political element in this but, IMHO I think it's mostly "good politics" (i.e. so what types of research should we spend tax money on?) One thing that I've noticed about senior scientists is that they spend a huge amount of time in Washington D.C. The observation that money is what matters in science is what going me interested in finance.

Can you or someone explain this more:
[/quAlso publication in the physical sciences is much easier than social sciences. The main reason is that the peer reviewers don't see themselves as major gatekeepers so as long as you have something not totally crazy, it will eventually pass peer review. (The acceptance rate for Ap.J. is something like 70%.)

In the social sciences, the journal peer reviewers *do* consider themselves gatekeepers, so that the publication rate is low and painful and IMHO much more political.
Why do you believe this kind of gatekeeping is as it is?

symbolipoint said:
Why do you believe this kind of gatekeeping is as it is?

I think it's a money issue. Physics is funded by people that want to see results, so people will look very badly on groups that keep decent results from getting published, and people have enough money to create huge size journals. In the case of the social sciences, there isn't much money, so resources are allocated based on status, which gives extraordinary power to people that can confer or withhold status.

The other issue is that the standards of quality are a bit more objective in physics. If you've proved Fermat's last theorem or invented special relativity, then if a peer review board says no, then you scrall something somewhere and the peer review board looks bad. In the social sciences (and even worse yet in the humanities), the standards for what is a "good" paper are much more subjective.

lurflurf said:

i will second that. Splitting up thesis research into journal format is proving to be a real headache. Its nice and creative to have a long gestation time for projects, but the real world is not that creative and functions on regularly monitored subdivided projects on existing agendas.

Alas the brain also becomes less creative as you get past postgrad age, so you may feel limitless creativity now, but for most this will slow down. Unless you already have some pretty hot seeds for a lifelong project and are creative in a manner that's totally unmanageable by others, its better for development, survival and healthy functioning to learn how to be a cog in the machine and output something every season.

Related to What institution allow you to do research in physics for the rest of your life?

1. What is the best institution to do research in physics for the rest of my life?

There is no one "best" institution for research in physics as it depends on your specific interests and goals. Some top institutions for physics research include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and University of California, Berkeley.

2. How do I choose the right institution for long-term physics research?

When considering an institution for long-term physics research, it is important to look at factors such as the faculty, research opportunities, facilities, and funding opportunities. It is also helpful to visit the institution and talk to current students and researchers to get a better sense of the culture and opportunities.

3. Can I do research in physics for the rest of my life at any institution?

Yes, there are many institutions that offer opportunities for long-term research in physics. However, some institutions may have more resources and opportunities available for researchers, so it is important to do your research and choose the best fit for your goals.

4. Do I need a specific degree or qualifications to do research in physics for the rest of my life?

While having a degree in physics or a related field is typically required for research positions, there are also opportunities for non-degree holders to participate in research as assistants or technicians. It is important to have a strong background in physics and a passion for research in order to pursue a long-term career in this field.

5. What is the typical career path for a physicist doing research for the rest of their life?

There is no one set career path for physicists doing long-term research, as it can vary depending on the individual's interests and goals. Some may pursue a tenure-track position at a university, while others may work in industry or government labs. It is common for physicists to continue doing research for the rest of their lives, constantly seeking new discoveries and advancements in the field.