What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if

In summary: On the other hand, change "r" by a factor of 2 → a "g" change of 2^2 which is 4→ 1/4. In summary, according to the inverse square law, the gravitational field strength's magnitude will increase by a factor of 16 if the separation distance decreases by a factor of 4, and it will decrease by a factor of 1/4 if the separation distance increases by a factor of 2.
chaishreen

Homework Statement

a) r decreases by a factor of 4?
b) r increases by factor of 2

Homework Equations

i'm not sure which equation they are referring to? it may be g ∝ 1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do this:
1/ (r-4)^2 and i got 1/(r^2 - 8r + 16)
the answer at the back of the book for a) says gravitational field strength's magnitude is supposed to become 16 times greater and for b) it's supposed to become 1/4 as great
please help

Physics news on Phys.org
chaishreen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried to do this:
the answer at the back of the book for a) says gravitational field strength's magnitude is supposed to become 16 times greater and for b) it's supposed to become 1/4 as great
please help

The radius has not decreased by 4, but by a factor of 4.

So r → r/4 (rather than r → r-4)

hey thanks, but is it g ∝ 1/(r/4)^2?

Fg=Gmm/r^2 so if you bring the masses 4 times closer and Gmm remain the same, then Fg' = Gmm/(r/4)^2. It follows that Fg'=Gmm/(r^2/4^2) which is Gmm/r^2/16, thus 16 (Gmm/r^2). Since Gmm/r^2is the original force, the new one is 16 times greater.

Likewise you can show that increasing r to 2r will make (2r)^2 = 4r^2, so the force will be 4 times smaller.

chaishreen said:
hey thanks, but is it g ∝ 1/(r/4)^2?

Expand that expression and what do you get? Compare it to the original 1/r2

chaishreen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried to do this:
please help

Also a simple approach is: this is an example if an "inverse square law" [some others are intensity of light, intensity of sound, electrical attraction between charges ...]

The inverse part tells you the change is opposite: reduce the separation - increase the force.
The square part tells you the size of change. change "r" by a factor of 4 → a "g" change of 42 (which is 16).

Related to What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if

1. What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if the distance between two objects increases?

The gravitational field strength's magnitude decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if the mass of one of the objects increases?

The gravitational field strength's magnitude increases as the mass of one of the objects increases. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object.

3. What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if the distance between two objects decreases?

The gravitational field strength's magnitude increases as the distance between two objects decreases. This is because the force of gravity becomes stronger as the objects get closer together, according to the inverse square law.

4. What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if the mass of both objects increases by the same factor?

The gravitational field strength's magnitude remains the same if the mass of both objects increases by the same factor. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to both masses, so increasing them by the same factor cancels out.

5. What happens to the gravitational field strength's magnitude if one of the objects has a negative mass?

The concept of negative mass is not currently accepted in mainstream physics, so it is difficult to say what would happen in this scenario. However, if we assume that negative mass does exist, the gravitational field strength's magnitude would likely be affected in unpredictable ways, as the force of gravity would be acting in the opposite direction compared to objects with positive mass.