What is the gravitational strength "G"?

I don't know what the posterior theme is.In summary, the conversation discusses a book with exercises and an introduction to the posterior theme. The introduction includes relevant equations, specifically the equation G = -Gm/r^3, which is known as strength G in the gravitational topic. The equation is similar to ##\vec g=-Gm\frac{\vec r}{r^3}## but the purpose of the equation is not clear.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Gravitational topic
Relevant Equations
G = -Gm/r^3
I am doing a book that have only exercises, and an introduction to the posterior theme, so, in the introduction, there is the relevant equations, and there is a equation: G = -Gm/r^3 called strength G, in the gravitational topic, what is this? I never saw it.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Gravitational topic
Relevant Equations:: G = -Gm/r^3

I am doing a book that have only exercises, and an introduction to the posterior theme, so, in the introduction, there is the relevant equations, and there is a equation: G = -Gm/r^3 called strength G, in the gravitational topic, what is this? I never saw it.
It looks close to ##\vec g=-Gm\frac{\vec r}{r^3}##, which does make sense,

Likes berkeman and LCSphysicist

Related to What is the gravitational strength "G"?

1. What is the definition of gravitational strength "G"?

The gravitational strength "G" is a physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is also known as the Newtonian constant of gravitation.

2. How is the gravitational strength "G" measured?

The gravitational strength "G" is typically measured in units of newtons per square meter per kilogram squared (N·m²/kg²). This can be determined experimentally by measuring the force of gravity between two objects of known mass and distance.

3. Why is the gravitational strength "G" considered a constant?

The gravitational strength "G" is considered a constant because it does not vary based on the masses or distances of the objects involved. It remains the same regardless of the location or environment.

4. How does the gravitational strength "G" affect the motion of objects?

The gravitational strength "G" is responsible for the force of gravity, which attracts objects towards each other. This force affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the value of the gravitational strength "G"?

While the gravitational strength "G" is considered a constant, there are some factors that can affect its value. These include the presence of large masses, such as planets or stars, which can create gravitational fields that can slightly alter the value of "G". Additionally, some theories, such as general relativity, suggest that "G" may vary in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole.