What happens if you sail through gravity waves?

In summary, gravitational waves are disturbances in space-time geometry that are caused by massive objects like black holes and neutron stars spiralling into each other. They are very weak and unless you are extremely close to the source, they will have no impact on a spacecraft's journey. Even if you are close enough to experience the effects, the radiation from the source would be a bigger concern. While we don't know exactly how many gravitational waves are in space, our current detectors are not sensitive enough to detect them all. Therefore, they are not a hazard to navigation.
Nerophysics
Hi

I am currently writing a sci fi book for children, and I wonder what happens with a spacecraft if it sails through powerful gravity waves? Does it have any consequences for the ship/crew at all? How abundant are gravity waves in space if you are sailing between stars or galaxies?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically nothing unless you are very close to the source. If you are, you will likely have other things to worry about.

Hi

And thank you for the answer. So basically nothing would happen? But, in theory, if you where very close to the source, would anything happen? What "other things" do they have to worry about? Obviously, two colliding black holes would cause some problems, but do you have anything else on your mind? Also, I seem to remeber that gravity waves where ripples in space. If gravity wells can make our Earth orbit the sun, why shouldn't ripples of gravity be able to effect a spaceship? How would these ripples - dangerous or not - interact with the spaceship, I mean? Would ut be like being on the sea in a ship - swells of water making the ship moving up and down?

Elonmusk said:
Also, I seem to remeber that gravity waves where ripples in space.
This sounds overly popular scientific. They are disturbances in the space-time geometry. If you want to call this "ripples", go ahead, but it is not the scientific term.

Elonmusk said:
How would these ripples - dangerous or not - interact with the spaceship, I mean?
Basically not at all. Gravity is very weak and detecting gravitational waves was an astonishing experimental feat that involved measuring relative path length changes of ##10^{-21}##.

Gravity waves are a type of surface waves on water. You mean gravitational waves.

Gravitational waves cause stresses in things like ships - if the gravitational wave is traveling in the x direction, say, then the ship is slightly stretched then slightly squished in the y direction and vice versa in the z direction. By "very slightly", I mean that a 10km long ship will stretch less than a millionth of the diameter of an atom. As Orodruin notes, our very best and most sensitive detectors can only just detect them as they pass.

If you are closer to the source, the waves will be stronger. But since the source is likely to be a couple of black holes or neutron stars spiralling into each other, you are probably going to be fried by the radiation emitted by their accretion discs long before you notice the gravitational waves.

We don't really know how many gravitational waves there are floating around. We've detected two in a few months. But we're well aware that our detectors are extremely primitive and we don't expect that they're spotting all the waves out there.

Gravitational waves are no hazard to navigation, in short, if that's what you are asking.

Likes Nerophysics
Orodruin said:
This sounds overly popular scientific. They are disturbances in the space-time geometry. If you want to call this "ripples", go ahead, but it is not the scientific term.Basically not at all. Gravity is very weak and detecting gravitational waves was an astonishing experimental feat that involved measuring relative path length changes of ##10^{-21}##.
In order for children to understand, or visualize what you are writing about, you need to paint pictures. That’s why famous people like Stephen Hawking or Neil deGrasse Tyson paint pictures when they explain.

And - to be fair - I am not too happy about the word "disturbances". Even words like oscillations or waves are better when it comes to gravitational waves. The oscillations that propagate through space are called "waves" instead of oscillations.

And, if you want to use the correct word that physicists use when it comes to "disturbances" - the correct word is polarization. For instance, an elliptically polarized gravity wave looks like a rotating helix, but it is still called a "wave".

Ibix said:
Gravity waves are a type of surface waves on water. You mean gravitational waves.

Gravitational waves cause stresses in things like ships - if the gravitational wave is traveling in the x direction, say, then the ship is slightly stretched then slightly squished in the y direction and vice versa in the z direction. By "very slightly", I mean that a 10km long ship will stretch less than a millionth of the diameter of an atom. As Orodruin notes, our very best and most sensitive detectors can only just detect them as they pass.

If you are closer to the source, the waves will be stronger. But since the source is likely to be a couple of black holes or neutron stars spiralling into each other, you are probably going to be fried by the radiation emitted by their accretion discs long before you notice the gravitational waves.

We don't really know how many gravitational waves there are floating around. We've detected two in a few months. But we're well aware that our detectors are extremely primitive and we don't expect that they're spotting all the waves out there.

Gravitational waves are no hazard to navigation, in short, if that's what you are asking.

Put another way, if you are close enough to a strong gravitational wave source for them to be a nuisance, they are going to be the least of your problems.

Ibix said:

This is the kind of intelligent, scientific and wonderful answer I was searching for. Thank you very much!

Now, I shall study accretion discs! Hopefully, the spaceships deflection shields will be powerful enough for a little bit of neutron star exploration.

I have also posted a question about black holes - whether there is superheated plasma in them or not.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-this-description-of-a-black-hole-accurate.880331/

I hope someone like you will give me an answer. But in any case -

Thank you!

Ibix said:

Also, I will save your answer and use it as a scientific guideline in my writing.

Elonmusk said:
In order for children to understand, or visualize what you are writing about, you need to paint pictures. That’s why famous people like Stephen Hawking or Neil deGrasse Tyson paint pictures when they explain.
They are not explaining, they are popularising. Please separate these two. Explaining is describing how gravitational waves actually work using mathematics, the language in which is used to describe them. Popularising is painting a picture in terms of similarities and regular spoken language and will never be as precise as the actual explanation.

Elonmusk said:
And - to be fair - I am not too happy about the word "disturbances". Even words like oscillations or waves are better when it comes to gravitational waves. The oscillations that propagate through space are called "waves" instead of oscillations.
Do you know the actual description of gravitational waves in terms of mathematics then? Otherwise, how do you pretend to construct a better likeness?

Elonmusk said:
And, if you want to use the correct word that physicists use when it comes to "disturbances" - the correct word is polarization. For instance, an elliptically polarized gravity wave looks like a rotating helix, but it is still called a "wave".
No it is not. You clearly have not understood the underlying mathematics.

Worth noting: Orodruin has forgotten more about gravitational waves than I know. Take his comments seriously.

Likes Nugatory

Related to What happens if you sail through gravity waves?

1. What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are a type of wave that occurs in a fluid medium, such as water or air, due to the force of gravity. These waves are characterized by oscillations in the fluid's density and pressure, and they can occur in any fluid that is disturbed from its equilibrium state.

2. Can you sail through gravity waves?

Yes, it is possible to sail through gravity waves. However, it can be challenging and dangerous, as these waves can be unpredictable and cause significant disturbances in the water. It is important to have proper training and experience before attempting to sail through gravity waves.

3. What happens to a boat when it sails through gravity waves?

When a boat sails through gravity waves, it will experience a series of up and down movements due to the changing density and pressure of the water. This can cause the boat to pitch, roll, and yaw, making it difficult to maintain control and stability.

4. Is there a risk of capsizing when sailing through gravity waves?

Yes, there is a risk of capsizing when sailing through gravity waves. The unpredictable nature of these waves and the intense movements they cause can make it challenging to keep a boat upright. It is crucial to have proper safety precautions and equipment in place when sailing through gravity waves.

5. Can gravity waves affect larger ships or boats?

Yes, gravity waves can affect larger ships or boats. In fact, these waves can be even more dangerous for larger vessels as they have a higher center of gravity and are more susceptible to instability and capsizing. It is important for all types of boats to be cautious when sailing through gravity waves.