What Grad Schools Can I Get Into?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Crush1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary, the person is looking for a school that will allow them to pursue their research interests. They have a 3.5 GPA and an 850 GRE score. They have been a tutor and an SI for physics, and are primarily looking for schools in California.
Crush1986
Hi guys. I'm just looking for a little help with how "big" of a school I can realistically get into for graduate studies.

GPA: 3.5 (for both physics and generals)

Physics GRE: 850

Research: At the time of graduation I will of had 1.5 years experience. (I'm not sure exactly of how the accomplishments here are going to be though.)

Getting letters of recommendation shouldn't be a problem.

I was a tutor for 1 year, and an SI (supplemental instuctor) for another (both for physics).

I'm primarily looking for campuses in California. I'm also not sure of what type of field I'd like to research. My primary goal is just getting help with knowing what schools are in reach.

It might be useful to note that my GPA in upper division physics is near 4.0. Most of my "poor" grades came from my first few quarters.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to help me out!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For what it's worth, I think you're looking at this backwards.

You need to figure out what area you want to go into before you think about which schools you want to apply to based on someone else's ranking criteria.

You see part of getting into any school - big name and otherwise - is having a plan for what you want to do. This will come though in your personal statement, but perhaps most importantly it plays a role in slot alottment, and that can be huge.

In my experience with admissions, what tends to happen is that a department will have funding for so many students. But that gets broken down into so many students per group - weighted by things like relative size of the subfield, which professors have grants and which professors are in positions to take on students. So a department may be willing to take on 10 students, but of those maybe two positions will be open for the astro group, six for the condensed matter, and two for the particle physics group. If you apply to this school to work under a cosmologist who you think had a neat web page, even if you have a perfect GPA and seven first author publications you won't get in because that particular prof is not accepting graduate students that year.

This is one big reason why you hear stories about guys who look like superstars on paper getting rejecting from what they considered to be "safety" schools. It's also why you see guys with less competative stats getting into big name institutions.

My advice is to start with the places that you'd really like to go. If you know you'd be admitted anywhere and prestige would have zero impact on your career, where would you go? Look at their programs and the work that's being done there. Visit the campus if you can. Talk to current students and professors. Also spend a lot of time reading and try to figure out what specifically you would want to do for graduate studies. Once you have this nailed down, then start ranking programs according to what's important to you.

Likes CalcNerd and Dishsoap
I had a feeling that was pretty much what I had to do. I really have to start looking at what I want to study. Thanks.

Related to What Grad Schools Can I Get Into?

1. What factors determine which grad schools I can get into?

The factors that determine which grad schools you can get into include your undergraduate GPA, standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT), letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, research experience, and extracurricular activities. Each school may weigh these factors differently, so it is important to research the specific requirements of each program.

2. Can I get into a top grad school with a low GPA?

It is possible to get into a top grad school with a low GPA, but it may be more challenging. Admissions committees will take into account other factors such as your test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. It is also important to have a strong and compelling reason for why your GPA may be lower, such as extenuating circumstances or significant improvement in your academic performance over time.

3. Does the reputation of my undergraduate institution matter for grad school admissions?

The reputation of your undergraduate institution may matter to some extent, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They will primarily be looking at your individual academic performance, research experience, and other qualifications. However, attending a well-respected institution may provide you with more opportunities for research and networking, which can strengthen your application.

4. How important are letters of recommendation for grad school admissions?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial component of your grad school application. They provide insight into your academic abilities, character, and potential for success in graduate school. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications for the program. Strong letters of recommendation can greatly enhance your chances of getting into grad school.

5. Can I get into grad school without any research experience?

While research experience is highly valued in many graduate programs, it is not always a requirement for admission. Some programs may place more emphasis on other factors such as academic performance and test scores. However, having research experience can demonstrate your passion for your field of study and your ability to conduct independent research, which can make you a more competitive applicant. It is recommended to gain research experience if possible, but it is not always necessary for admission to grad school.