What grad schools are within my reach?

• Schools
  • Thread starter undrcvrbro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary, the conversation is about a person studying Chemical Engineering in the U.S and looking to further their studies in a warm climate. They have a 3.5/4.0 GPA and are looking for a list of potential colleges to apply to for graduate studies. They also mention doing decent on their GRE's and attending a relatively unknown university. There is a mention of wanting to escape Cleveland and they ask for any additional information on specific programs. The conversation also includes a joke about their preferred location and a discussion about the importance of scores over the school of origin in grad school applications.
undrcvrbro
Sorry in advance, because I realize this is an incredibly broad question.

I'm studying Chemical Engineering in the U.S(ohio) and I really would love to further my studies somewhere. I will most likely graduate with my B.S in ChemE with about a 3.5/4.0 GPA. I know there are a LOT of other variables that go into this, but because I'm not sure what specifically I want to study(I just know it will deal with ChemE) it would be cool if anyone could give me a list of college that MAY be within my reach.

I'll probably do decent on my GRE's (no 99 percentile, but not 5 either) and I go to a relatively unknown university. Essentially what I'm saying is I will be a very average grad school applicant. I would love to be somewhere in a warm climate such as Cali,Florida, or the Carolinas(read: GET ME THE F OUT OF CLEVELAND).

Just listing some schools would be awesome. Any more info on any of the respective programs would just be amazing. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize this question is a bit outdated but incase anyone else looks at it...

btw I rather liked the location joke,

From what I have found a 3.3 is a decent score for grad apps, though common, the school of origin doesn't have as much effect as scores,

There are many ChemE grad schools so the options are out there
general info but hopefully it well help someone

Related to What grad schools are within my reach?

1. What factors should I consider when determining which grad schools are within my reach?

When determining which grad schools are within your reach, you should consider your academic achievements, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement. These factors are typically evaluated by grad schools during the admissions process.

2. How do I know if my GPA and test scores are competitive for the grad schools I am interested in?

You can research the average GPA and test scores of admitted students at the grad schools you are interested in. This information is often available on the school's website or through their admissions office. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the competitiveness of your scores.

3. Can I still get into a top grad school if my undergraduate GPA is not as high as I would like?

Yes, you can still get into a top grad school with a lower undergraduate GPA. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. It is important to highlight these strengths in your application to showcase your potential for success in graduate school.

4. Should I apply to grad schools that are out of my reach?

It is generally recommended to apply to a mix of grad schools that are within your reach and some that may be considered a reach. This allows for a better chance of acceptance while also giving you the opportunity to aim for higher-ranking schools. Ultimately, it is important to consider the cost and time investment of applying to grad schools, so be strategic in your choices.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting into my dream grad school?

To increase your chances of getting into your dream grad school, it is important to have a strong application. This includes achieving high grades in your undergraduate courses, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, gaining research experience, and crafting a compelling personal statement. Networking and connecting with faculty in your field of interest can also help in the admissions process.