What Frequency Causes a Rock to Lift Off a Vibrating Platform?

In summary, the problem involves a vibration platform with an amplitude of 10.4 cm and a small rock of unknown mass placed on it. The question asks for the frequency at which the rock will begin to leave the surface and clatter. To solve this, the equation ax(t) = -w^2 * Asin(wt) is needed, where a is acceleration, w is angular frequency, and t is time. The goal is to find the frequency that causes the reaction force on the rock to be zero. This can be approached similarly to a rollercoaster problem, keeping in mind that only the amplitude is given in this case.
aubailey

Homework Statement

A vibration platform oscillates up and down with an amplitude of 10.4 cm at a controlled variable frequency. Suppose a small rock of unknown mass is placed on the platform. At what frequency will the rock just begin to leave the surface so that it starts to clatter?

Homework Equations

ax(t) = -w^2 * Asin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find the acceleration with the given amplitude but i still have two variables, omega and time in order to find that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi aubailey! welcome to pf! :wink:

what is your basic equation, the one that determines whether the rock loses contact (ie the reaction force is zero)? :smile:

Yes, how do I find the frequency that will cause the rock to be lifted a little?

i suppose it is similar to a rollercoaster problem but I am kind of stuck because I am only given the amplitude.

Related to What Frequency Causes a Rock to Lift Off a Vibrating Platform?

1. What is a vibrating platform and rock?

A vibrating platform and rock is a piece of equipment commonly used in fitness and rehabilitation settings. It consists of a flat surface that vibrates at varying frequencies and amplitudes, along with a rock or other object placed on top. The vibrations are thought to stimulate muscles and improve balance and coordination.

2. How does a vibrating platform and rock work?

The vibrations from the platform cause muscles to contract and relax at a rapid rate, similar to the effects of exercise. This can lead to increased muscle strength and improved balance. The added weight of the rock or object on top of the platform adds an element of instability, making it more challenging for the body to maintain balance and engage stabilizing muscles.

3. What are the benefits of using a vibrating platform and rock?

Some potential benefits of using a vibrating platform and rock include improved muscle strength, balance and coordination, increased bone density, and reduced muscle soreness. It may also be helpful for those with certain medical conditions, such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis, in improving movement and reducing tremors.

4. Who can benefit from using a vibrating platform and rock?

Vibrating platforms and rocks can be beneficial for a wide range of individuals, including athletes looking to improve their performance, individuals recovering from injuries or surgeries, and older adults looking to improve balance and prevent falls. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise or rehabilitation program.

5. Are there any risks or precautions when using a vibrating platform and rock?

As with any form of exercise, there are potential risks when using a vibrating platform and rock. These may include muscle strains or injuries if proper form is not maintained, and increased vibration exposure for individuals with certain medical conditions. It is important to start slowly and gradually increase intensity, and to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns or pre-existing medical conditions.