Simple harmonic motion involving circuit

In summary, the problem is asking to find the maximum frequency at which a small body will stay in contact with a diaphragm that is executing simple harmonic oscillation with an amplitude of 10 µm. The solution involves setting the acceleration of the diaphragm equal to the acceleration of gravity and solving for the corresponding frequency, which is found to be 498.24 Hz. However, there are some potential errors in the logic, such as setting phi = 0 and ignoring the negative sign in the equation. These should be taken into consideration when solving the problem.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"A small body rests on a horizontal diaphragm of a loudspeaker which is
supplied with an alternating current of constant amplitude but variable frequency.
If the diaphragm executes simple harmonic oscillation in the vertical
direction of amplitude 10 µm, at all frequencies, find the greatest frequency
for which the small body stays in contact with the diaphragm."

Homework Equations

x = A cos (wt - phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so my reasoning here is the mass will stay on the platform so long as the acceleration of the platform does not exceed the acceleration of gravity (the only force holding the mass on the platform)

so, the maximum frequency must be the frequency that makes the acceleration exactly equal to gravity.

x = A cos (wt - phi)

v = -w A sin (wt - phi)

a = - w^2 A cos (wt - phi)

9.8 = -w^2 * 10^-6

w = 3130.49

f = w/(2 * pi) = 498.24 Hz.

ok.. so a lot of things make me uncomfortable in this problem.

First, I'm setting phi = 0 and t to be some value that makes cos = 1 ..I'm not sure why I can do that so that makes me uncomfortable.

Secondly I'm ignoring the minus sign in my equation. That too makes me uncomfortable.

Is there an error in my logic??

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration of the diaphragm is not constant. It is maximum at the extreme position of the diaphragm. So cos should be 1.
When the diaphragm is retreating, if its acceleration is less than or equal to g, the small body stays in contact with the diaphragm. The retreating action takes into account the negative sign.

Your reasoning is correct, but there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, the minus sign in the equation for acceleration is important because it indicates the direction of the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is directed upwards (opposite to the direction of gravity), so the minus sign is necessary to account for that.

Secondly, setting phi = 0 and cos = 1 is valid because you are assuming that the oscillation is in phase with the alternating current, which means that the diaphragm is at its maximum displacement when the acceleration is equal to gravity. This is the worst case scenario, so it gives you the maximum frequency at which the mass will stay in contact with the diaphragm.

Lastly, it is important to note that this problem assumes ideal conditions, where there is no friction or other external forces acting on the mass. In reality, there will always be some friction present, so the actual maximum frequency may be slightly lower.

Related to Simple harmonic motion involving circuit

1. What is simple harmonic motion involving circuit?

Simple harmonic motion involving circuit is a type of periodic motion in which an electrical circuit or component follows a repetitive pattern. This motion can be described mathematically by a sine or cosine function and is typically observed in systems with a restoring force and a mass or charge that can oscillate back and forth.

2. What are the components of a simple harmonic motion circuit?

A simple harmonic motion circuit typically consists of a resistor, capacitor, and inductor connected in series or parallel. These components work together to create a periodic oscillation in the electrical current or charge in the circuit.

3. How is the period of a simple harmonic motion circuit calculated?

The period of a simple harmonic motion circuit can be calculated by taking the inverse of the frequency, which is determined by the values of the components in the circuit. The period is the time it takes for the circuit to complete one full cycle of oscillation.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and amplitude in simple harmonic motion involving circuit?

In simple harmonic motion involving circuit, the frequency and amplitude are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases and vice versa. This relationship can be described by the equation f = 1/T, where f is frequency and T is period.

5. How does damping affect simple harmonic motion in a circuit?

Damping, or the dissipation of energy, can affect the amplitude and frequency of simple harmonic motion in a circuit. In a circuit with high damping, the amplitude will decrease more quickly and the frequency will be lower compared to a circuit with low damping. Damping can also cause the system to eventually come to rest, known as critical damping.