Simple harmonic motion platform

In summary, at what point will the block leave the platform? The block will leave the platform at the point where it has traveled the greatest distance. The block will reach above the highest point that the platform reaches by a distance of 5 cm.
Thatonetim194
1. A platform is executing simple harmonic motion in a vertical direction with an amplitude of 5 cm and a frequency of 10/pi vibrations per second. a block is placed on the platform at the lowest point of its path.
a) at what point will the block leave the platform?
b)how far will the block reach above the highest point that the platform reaches

2. Homework Equations

x=Acos(ωt-phi)
mg=-ma(where the block leaves the platform)
g-(ω^2)Acos(ωt)=0
ω=2pif
m(g-(ω^2)Acos(ωt))=0

3. The Attempt at a Solution for part a

given the frequency i found the angular frequency to be 20rad/s

knowing x=-Acos(ωt) because it starts out at the lowest point at -A and also no phase angle to the equation.

to find when the mass leaves the platform -ma=mg, and taking the derivative twice of this equation a=(ω^2)Acos(ωt)

and i need to satisfy the initial condition of the acceleration so i get m(g-(ω^2)Acos(ωt))=0

but how do find when this happens?

part b I was not able to get to yet

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thatonetim194 said:
1. A platform is executing simple harmonic motion in a vertical direction with an amplitude of 5 cm and a frequency of 10/pi vibrations per second. a block is placed on the platform at the lowest point of its path.
a) at what point will the block leave the platform?
b)how far will the block reach above the highest point that the platform reaches

2. Homework Equations

x=Acos(ωt-phi)
mg=-ma(where the block leaves the platform)
g-(ω^2)Acos(ωt)=0
ω=2pif
m(g-(ω^2)Acos(ωt))=0

3. The Attempt at a Solution for part a

given the frequency i found the angular frequency to be 20rad/s

knowing x=-Acos(ωt) because it starts out at the lowest point at -A and also no phase angle to the equation.

to find when the mass leaves the platform -ma=mg, and taking the derivative twice of this equation a=(ω^2)Acos(ωt)

and i need to satisfy the initial condition of the acceleration so i get m(g-(ω^2)Acos(ωt))=0

but how do find when this happens?

Don't they ask the position (they say "at what point"), not the time? Then you just need - Acos(ωt), no?

Just to let people know I actually found out how to do the problem sorry for posting this.

Related to Simple harmonic motion platform

1. What is a simple harmonic motion platform?

A simple harmonic motion platform is a device used to study the properties and behavior of objects in simple harmonic motion. It typically consists of a horizontal platform that can move back and forth in a straight line, and a mass attached to a spring that is connected to the platform. This setup allows for the observation of the oscillatory motion of the mass as the platform moves.

2. How does a simple harmonic motion platform work?

The simple harmonic motion platform works by using the force of a spring to create a restoring force on the attached mass. When the platform is moved, the spring will stretch or compress, causing the mass to move in the opposite direction. As the spring returns to its equilibrium position, the mass will continue to oscillate back and forth, creating a stable and predictable motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a simple harmonic motion platform?

The motion of a simple harmonic motion platform is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude and frequency of the platform's movement. The presence of friction and air resistance can also impact the motion of the platform.

4. What are some real-life applications of simple harmonic motion platforms?

Simple harmonic motion platforms have many real-life applications, including in the study of pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and earthquake-resistant buildings. They are also used in industries such as automotive engineering to test the durability and performance of vehicle components under repetitive motion.

5. How is the period of a simple harmonic motion platform calculated?

The period of a simple harmonic motion platform is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, or back-and-forth motion, to occur. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that there is no damping or external forces acting on the system.