What Force Maintains a Constant Velocity for a Water Skier?

In summary, a 75 kg water skier is being pulled by a horizontal force of 495 N and has an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. To solve for the force needed to pull the skier at a constant velocity, the net force must be considered, which is equal to the mass of the skier multiplied by the acceleration. The total resistive force exerted on the skier by the water and wind is constant and must also be taken into account. Using the formula F=ma, the net force can be calculated to be 150 N. However, this is not the correct answer as the resistive forces must also be added to the net force. Therefore, the force needed to pull the skier
shawonna23
Physics Homework Problem--Stuck?

A 75 kg water skier is being pulled by a horizontal force of 495 N and has an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2. Assuming that the total resistive force exerted on the skier by the water and the wind is constant, what force is needed to pull the skier at a constant velocity?

I tried doing this to solve the problem:

F=ma
F=75kg x 2.0= 150N

Then I added 150 and 495 to get 645 N but this is not the right answer.

Can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the total resistive force...?

Daniel.

[tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]

This stands for the net force.. not only one. Draw a force diagram and see where each one is going.

Related to What Force Maintains a Constant Velocity for a Water Skier?

1) Why can't I solve this physics problem?

Physics problems can be challenging and require a strong understanding of fundamental concepts. It is important to carefully read the problem and break it down into smaller parts. If you are still struggling, consider seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

2) How do I know which formula to use?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to identify the given information and what is being asked for. Then, choose the appropriate formula that relates to the given information and solve for the unknown variable.

3) Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Calculators can be helpful in solving physics problems, but it is important to make sure you are using the correct units and following the proper order of operations. In some cases, the problem may require mental math or hand calculations.

4) What should I do if I get stuck on a step?

If you get stuck on a step of a physics problem, it is important to review the previous steps and make sure you have not made a mistake. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller parts. If you are still stuck, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

5) How can I check if my answer is correct?

In physics, it is important to check your answer for reasonableness and units. You can also plug your answer back into the original equation to see if it balances. Additionally, some textbooks or online resources may provide answer keys or step-by-step solutions for practice problems.