Why must a water skier at constant velocity lean back?

In summary: FB is pointing down and the FW is pointing up.In summary, the water skier must lean back to keep the torque at 0 and not flip. The forces acting on her are air resistance and water resistance in the negative direction, and the tension in the rope she's holding.
Lola Luck

Homework Statement

Why must a water skier moving with constant velocity lean backward? What determines how far back she must lean? Draw a free-body diagram for the water skier to justify your answers.

Homework Equations

Equilibrium: Fnet=0 and Torquenet=0
rcenter of mass=(m1r1+m2r2+m3r3...)/(m1+m2+m3...)

This chapter also discusses stress, strain, elasticity etc. but I don't think it's applicable to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

In my free body diagram, the forces acting on the skier are air resistance and water resistance in the negative direction, and the tension in the rope she's holding in the positive direction.

The net force will always be zero because the tension will match resistance. The torque needs to be kept at 0 so she doesn't flip. I think she leans back to keep the torque at 0, but I'm not sure why that would work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just where are these forces acting on the skier.

Air resistance acts across the front of the skier (equivalent to being concentrated at the center of mass), and water resistance, which exerts more force, acts along the skis. The tension acts along her arms, probably near the center of mass.

Lola Luck said:
The torque needs to be kept at 0 so she doesn't flip.
And, how does she accomplish zero torque?

Lola Luck said:
Air resistance acts across the front of the skier (equivalent to being concentrated at the center of mass), and water resistance, which exerts more force, acts along the skis. The tension acts along her arms, probably near the center of mass.
Don't overlook gravity! Gravity acts vertically downwards; you can often picture it being concentrated at about waist height, when standing.

Bystander said:
And, how does she accomplish zero torque?

by leaning back, apparently. is it because she shifts her center of gravity?

NascentOxygen said:
Don't overlook gravity! Gravity acts vertically downwards; you can often picture it being concentrated at about waist height, when standing.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about gravity in the free body diagram...

Lola Luck said:
Oh yeah, completely forgot about gravity in the free body diagram...
So, can you show on a stick figure how gravity can counter the tendency of the tow line to produce a face plant (i.e., a rotation about the ankle straps)?

Show us the free body diagram. Did you include the normal force at the feet/lift force due to the skies?

I can't show the free body diagram but i have the tension of the cable, gravity, air resistance, water resistance (friction?), normal force (buoyancy?). Is it because leaning back causes gravity to have a torque that counters the water resistance?

ok it might be sideways but the top one is without leaning and the bottom one is with leaning

Attachments

• IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,160
That looks like the right idea, but ... If skiing at constant speed, fa whatever it is won't be there. I would keep the skis flat, and water resistance and bouyancy shouldn't change to act at an angle.

Fa is air resistance... I guess it's not necessary to include it. I think i have it figured out- thank you for your help!

Ski's aren't very bouyant. FB would be due to lift caused by the skis being at an angle to the water.

When you show the man leaning back I would leave the FB pointing vertically. You already have FW due to friction (drag) and I would suggest that FB and FW should be orthogonal (at 90 degrees to each other).

Related to Why must a water skier at constant velocity lean back?

1. Why must a water skier lean back at constant velocity?

At constant velocity, the water skier must lean back in order to maintain balance and prevent the front of the skis from digging into the water. This is because the force of the water against the skis is greater at higher speeds, and leaning back helps to counteract this force and keep the skis on the surface of the water.

2. What happens if a water skier does not lean back at constant velocity?

If a water skier does not lean back at constant velocity, the front of the skis will dig into the water and the skier will likely lose balance and fall. This can also cause injury, as the sudden stopping motion can put strain on the skier's body.

3. Is leaning back the only way to maintain balance on water skis at constant velocity?

No, there are other techniques that can be used to maintain balance on water skis at constant velocity, such as shifting weight and adjusting body position. However, leaning back is a common and effective method for beginners and experienced skiers alike.

4. Are there any other benefits to leaning back while water skiing at constant velocity?

In addition to maintaining balance, leaning back can also help to reduce drag and increase speed. By keeping the front of the skis out of the water, the skier can glide more smoothly and efficiently through the water.

5. Is leaning back necessary for all types of water skiing, or only at constant velocity?

Leaning back is typically necessary for all types of water skiing, regardless of speed. However, the degree of lean may vary depending on the type of water skiing and the skill level of the skier. For example, slalom skiing may require a more aggressive lean compared to recreational skiing.