What Essential Items Should I Consider When Moving Out for the First Time?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the current expenses are what the person doesn't know yet. They contacted the utilities company and they should get back to them by tomorrow. They are looking into apartments and the one they are looking at has a stove and fridge, but no cable or internet and maybe no phone. They may need to buy a couch, chair, and some other furniture.
Maxwell said:
Oh, I see, for some reason I thought you said the consultation with the lawyer is free.

Yeah, the consultation is free and I asked him how much it would cost to sue, and he said it was free to bring it to family court.

The lawyer is supplied by the regional government.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
This slipped my mind until Bob's last post. I always like to keep a stash of nylon and/or aluminum screen around. It's cheaper than dirt, and has lots of uses. One of those is to stretch a piece through an embroidery hoop (about 50¢ at a craft or fabric shop) to act as a strainer. With a stick duct-taped on for a handle, this can double as an improvised fly-swatter, although you might want to wash it before using it for your pasta, or a badminton racquet should you happen to be invited to a match.
A bigger piece (aluminum only) makes a good safety guard when you're frying bacon naked, and you can make your own teabags out of little bits. Some of it scrunched up works as a 'scrubby' for cleaning pots and such.
Last, but not least, a bunch of it rolled up and stuffed in a paper-towel tube serves as a semi-effective silencer if you have to start shooting mice.
Danger, that's Genius! Do you have anything else that cool?

JasonRox said:
I did a little tease thing for my girlfriend on Facebook and they jumped right on and was like... that's bad blah blah blah blah... leave me the **** alone.
Who what? You were teasing your girlfriend online? Who jumped on? I'm not even going taks. :confused:
Well, my parents fed the dog hamburger, not steak, but I was shocked when I was asked to dog-sit one weekend and they showed me all the burgers in the freezer and my mouth was watering envisioning some nice, juicy, rare burgers for dinner, and then they finished the sentence explaining that I should cook those for the dog!
Don't tell me you didn't first cook yourself a few and then pack some to bring back to your place :smile:

Mk said:
Who what? You were teasing your girlfriend online? Who jumped on? I'm not even going taks. :confused:

Don't tell me you didn't first cook yourself a few and then pack some to bring back to your place :smile:

My mom and sister went all over it. They are pure drama queens.

It's way worse than I'm saying though. I can even describe it. People online normally say just move out on your own and that's how we did it back in the day... yadda yadda. The problem is I'm not even fully capable of describing how bad it really is. Friends parents agree that my parents should pay. They're the ones that suggested it in the first place because they see the crap going on and so on.

Put it this way, I don't even feel comfortable bringing girls or friends over. Nevermind throwing a little party or something.

mess

Sounds to me like you're in for the long haul. Get your degree and get a job. Unlike your sister, don't have children. Also, save as much money as possible. When that's all said and done with, you can use your new paycheck to get an apartment. In a decent neighborhood, decent location -- at a decent price. Until then, just be a student... stay away from home as much as possible... get involved in activities at your school. FINISH! As quickly as possible. Join a fraternity. Party. Be a kid, and don't go home to do anything but sleep and eat.

JasonRox said:
It's way worse than I'm saying though. I can even describe it. People online normally say just move out on your own and that's how we did it back in the day... yadda yadda. The problem is I'm not even fully capable of describing how bad it really is. Friends parents agree that my parents should pay. They're the ones that suggested it in the first place because they see the crap going on and so on.

I'm sort of in similar situation with my family. Except unlike you, I decided to "move out on my own" like back in the days. My family situation wasn't quite as difficult, but in my opinion, still intolerable.

So anyway, I'm 19 and I moved out over a year ago, thinking I would just start my adult life, whatever it takes. Of course, my parents refused to pay for school, so I took the year off. Then when I tried going back this fall as an in-state student, they told me I needed financial independence. I told them I was, but they checked my taxes, and it turned out my family was still claiming me as a dependent, even though I lived on the other side of the country with no financial support. So I contacted my family and threatened to sue if they didn't refile their taxes. That took months to straighten out, but eventually did. Turned out I needed two years of independence though, so now I have to wait another year...

I wanted to go back to school, so i said f-that. I've decided to pay triple the cost for out-of-state, figuring I can get loans. NOPE. So, in order to filie my FAFSA I need my parents financial information for the expected family contribution. Of course, my parents do make a fair amount of money, even if they won't give me a dime. Even though I'm independent according to the government, I'm not according to the US public school system. You're only independent if you have a bachelors or are over 26. So, despite fighting for the better part of a year for independence, I'm not. And now they expect my family to pay 18k for my education... which is more than tuition costs... which makes my loan prospects quite slim.

So bottom line is that even though I tried to be responsible for myself, and not hurt my family, it didn't matter. Society no longer is set up so that kids can move out and become adults at a young age. You're all but forced to depend on your parents anyway. It sucks that things aren't easy for you, and I truly emphasize. Get your parents to pay for it. They should, and its not fair that you should have to anyway. Once you have your degree, life will be easier, you can get a good job, leave your family behind and start your life on your own. Good luck!

Gale said:
I'm sort of in similar situation with my family. Except unlike you, I decided to "move out on my own" like back in the days. My family situation wasn't quite as difficult, but in my opinion, still intolerable.

So anyway, I'm 19 and I moved out over a year ago, thinking I would just start my adult life, whatever it takes. Of course, my parents refused to pay for school, so I took the year off. Then when I tried going back this fall as an in-state student, they told me I needed financial independence. I told them I was, but they checked my taxes, and it turned out my family was still claiming me as a dependent, even though I lived on the other side of the country with no financial support. So I contacted my family and threatened to sue if they didn't refile their taxes. That took months to straighten out, but eventually did. Turned out I needed two years of independence though, so now I have to wait another year...

I wanted to go back to school, so i said f-that. I've decided to pay triple the cost for out-of-state, figuring I can get loans. NOPE. So, in order to filie my FAFSA I need my parents financial information for the expected family contribution. Of course, my parents do make a fair amount of money, even if they won't give me a dime. Even though I'm independent according to the government, I'm not according to the US public school system. You're only independent if you have a bachelors or are over 26. So, despite fighting for the better part of a year for independence, I'm not. And now they expect my family to pay 18k for my education... which is more than tuition costs... which makes my loan prospects quite slim.

So bottom line is that even though I tried to be responsible for myself, and not hurt my family, it didn't matter. Society no longer is set up so that kids can move out and become adults at a young age. You're all but forced to depend on your parents anyway. It sucks that things aren't easy for you, and I truly emphasize. Get your parents to pay for it. They should, and its not fair that you should have to anyway. Once you have your degree, life will be easier, you can get a good job, leave your family behind and start your life on your own. Good luck!

OMG! They still filed you as a dependent. I would have freaking flipped out beyond belief. It's kind of funny how you live on the other side of the country because that's where I'm planning on moving after school. :biggrin:

My situation is bad and so is yours. I really hope your education plans start turning around. I believe you're officially starting this September? Right?