What electives to take? (IC design related)

In summary: These will be very helpful in your future career.In summary, the individual is a 4th year student in Biomedical and Electrical Engineering and is seeking advice on which electives to take. They have a strong interest in IC circuit design and are specifically interested in the device side and actual circuit design. They are also interested in working with IC design for medical applications in the future. The IC Design class at their university is hands-on and involves designing, testing, and redesigning circuits. The expert recommends focusing on circuit design rather than transistor device design, as there will be plenty of available Intellectual Property (IP) from IC fab houses and IP vendors. They also suggest taking courses in digital and analog signal processing, VLSI design, medical
harelo
What electives to take? (IC design related)

Hello everyone, I'm entering my 4th year in Biomedical and Electrical engineering, where I have a few electives to do, however I am somewhat puzzled as to the options.

From all my studies I've found that I really enjoy IC circuit design (digital, not really into RF).

However here is where the problem arises. I very much enjoy both the Device side (layout, transistor composition, all that microscopically awesome stuff) but I'm also very much interested on having the be able to actually design the circuit (transistor logic, VLSI, etc).

I am interested in the near future to work with IC design for medical applications and the like, but now I'm wondering what would give me the better opportunity? If anyone is in the field, what do you find has a better chance?

The IC Design class at my university is very hands on, where we design the circuit layout and actually get to send it to the Fab, and afterward we receive it back and do lots of testing and redesigning, so I feel it would be really good for future reference.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out, any feedback would be welcome :)

Physics news on Phys.org

harelo said:
Hello everyone, I'm entering my 4th year in Biomedical and Electrical engineering, where I have a few electives to do, however I am somewhat puzzled as to the options.

From all my studies I've found that I really enjoy IC circuit design (digital, not really into RF).

However here is where the problem arises. I very much enjoy both the Device side (layout, transistor composition, all that microscopically awesome stuff) but I'm also very much interested on having the be able to actually design the circuit (transistor logic, VLSI, etc).

I am interested in the near future to work with IC design for medical applications and the like, but now I'm wondering what would give me the better opportunity? If anyone is in the field, what do you find has a better chance?

The IC Design class at my university is very hands on, where we design the circuit layout and actually get to send it to the Fab, and afterward we receive it back and do lots of testing and redesigning, so I feel it would be really good for future reference.

If I understand your question correctly, I would recommend focusing on the circuit design, and not the transistor device design.

You will have plenty of Intellectual Property (IP) available to you from the IC fab houses and their IP vendors, so you will not have to design the transistors or the building blocks from scratch. Instead, your real contribution will generally come from how you use those tools to build digital or mixed signal ASICs for cost-effective and growing markets.

harelo said:

I am currently in a closely related area of Biomedical Engineering. Depending on your university, usually there are many overlapping courses in EE and Biomedical Engineering, like Digital and Analog signal processing and VLSI design. If you are more interested in medical instrumentation, you can take a course on medical sensors and instrumentation. I would strongly recommend learning a programming software like LabView (http://www.ni.com/labview/) and electronic circuits simulation softwares like Proteus (http://www.labcenter.com/index.cfm).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What electives to take? (IC design related)

1. What are some recommended electives for IC design?

Some recommended electives for IC design are advanced digital design, analog circuit design, VLSI design, semiconductor physics, and computer-aided design (CAD).

2. Are there any prerequisites for taking IC design electives?

It depends on the specific elective course, but typically there are prerequisites such as basic circuit analysis, digital logic design, and semiconductor device fundamentals.

3. Can I take IC design electives if I am not majoring in electrical engineering?

Yes, many universities offer IC design electives as part of their computer engineering or computer science programs. However, you may need to have a strong foundation in electrical engineering concepts to succeed in these courses.

4. Are there any specific skills or software programs I should know before taking IC design electives?

Basic programming skills and familiarity with programs like SPICE and CAD tools are useful for IC design electives. It's also recommended to have a strong understanding of circuit theory and semiconductor devices.

5. How can I determine which IC design electives are right for me?

It's important to consider your interests and career goals when choosing IC design electives. Research the course descriptions and talk to your academic advisor or professors to get a better understanding of the course content and its relevance to your academic and career plans.