What Drives a Retired Machinist's Curiosity in Science and Innovation?

In summary, a retired machinist's curiosity in science and innovation is driven by their desire to continue learning and staying mentally active. They are motivated by their natural curiosity and passion for problem-solving, as well as their interest in new technologies and advancements in the field. This drive for knowledge and exploration keeps them engaged and fulfilled in their retirement years.
Rad Manfred
I retired from mundane jobs. I now read about things of interest such as but not limited to energy conservation and discoveries. I've liked science all my life .Stopped going to college but completed 2 semesters of calculus and 2 semesters of Chemistry many years ago.
I have 17 years experience in machining .So I read prints and thanks to high school electronics I am familiar with schematics.The electronics course had one chapter on transistors but lots of phase angle equations and ohms law.
I make things sometimes for myself and others .
I have 2 projects on reducing electricity usage that are low tech.
During the first gulf war I saw an engineer convert a CNC mill to deposit a thin stack of wax in a vertical column.Then not long after that they made a prototype part using some kind of rigid plastic .We were in the model shop at Texas Instruments .This was early development of additive manufacturing .I was amazed that the engineer could set that up on that 3 axis mill without wrecking it. I worked on a 5 axis mill making fiberglass cores for the electromagnets for the large Hadron Collider . I guess they were prototypes possibly not even full scale ,made from about 4 inch diameter green Fiberglass thick walled tubes . They made a lot of dust when we shaped the curved path that I assume was to be the surface the wire was wound on.
I remember when I saw the first video of a college student flying a quad rotor outside a college somewhere .I immediately knew that it was something very important even though it didn't do much more than fly level
What am I seeing now that seems to be interesting?
LENR (lattice enabled) I hope they have funding now.
Em drive somehow captured my attention when I first saw the cone shaped black and white drawing a few years ago. The nano scale discoveries are probably as important but I can't say which is most important .
I have a rudimentary understanding of quantum mechanics perhaps less than rudimentary. Before I stopped going to school I had 2 semesters of calculus and 2 semesters of chemistry .
I experiment and perhaps I may have an interesting observation some day .
I can't say right now what Questions I may have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rad Manfred.
welcome_bike.gif

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Rad Manfred.
welcome_bike.gif

Thanks for the greeting.After joining this forum I realized I am most interested in finding ways to put things to a practical use.I try to encourage the younger people I know .The best student in my calculus 2 class was from Australia. Perhaps you might know the answer to my latest question.
Have they melted metal such as nickel or palladium in low gravity .I am wanting to know if the structure of the atoms was spaced farther apart after they cooled off and formed a solid in low gravity.Perhaps the structure had 2 atoms close together then 2 farther apart.

Would the palladium or nickel that solidified in low gravity be less dense than metals that became solids on earth

Rad Manfred said:
Would the palladium or nickel tha solidified in low gravity be less dense than metals that became solids on earth
Please post your questions in the appropriate forum :)

Related to What Drives a Retired Machinist's Curiosity in Science and Innovation?

1. What is "Introduction 101"?

"Introduction 101" is a course that introduces students to the basic principles and concepts of a specific subject or field of study. It is often a required course for students starting their academic journey in a particular subject.

2. Who should take "Introduction 101"?

Typically, "Introduction 101" is designed for students who have little to no prior knowledge or experience in a particular subject. It is a great course for anyone looking to gain a foundational understanding of a subject before diving into more advanced courses.

3. What can I expect to learn in "Introduction 101"?

The content covered in "Introduction 101" varies depending on the subject, but generally, you can expect to learn the basic theories, principles, and terminology of the subject. You will also gain an understanding of the importance and relevance of the subject in various contexts.

4. How will "Introduction 101" benefit me?

"Introduction 101" can benefit you in several ways. It can help you develop a strong foundation in a subject, which can be beneficial for future courses and career opportunities. It can also help you explore your interests and determine if the subject is something you want to pursue further.

5. Are there any prerequisites for "Introduction 101"?

In most cases, there are no prerequisites for "Introduction 101." However, it is always a good idea to check with your academic advisor or the course instructor to confirm if there are any recommended or required courses to take before enrolling in "Introduction 101."