What does it mean to have a negative change in current?

In summary: In one interpretation it means the current is decreasing, while in another interpretation it means the current is moving in the opposite direction.
mathsciguy
Does a di/dt<0 mean an increasing current moving from a lower potential to a higher potential (if we define the direction of current to be the flow of the positive charges)? Similar question with negative current i.e.; dq/dt<0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good morning mathsciguy.

You do realize that di/dt represents the slope or tangent on a graph?

It may help to talk of negative going currents (negative di/dt) and positive going currents (positive di/dt) since there may also be negative currents (against the chosen circuit direction) and positive currents (with the chosen circuit direction).

So the slope of a negative (or positive) current may itself be negative or positive.

Of course the current may also be zero, especially if alternating.

Yes I do of course, it's also the very reason that I'm having conflicting ideas. In the context of calculus (at least from how I knew it), a negative dq/dt would mean that there are decreasing charges as time goes but when the textbook says negative dq/dt also means charges moving in the opposite direction (whatever that direction maybe?) then things get a little perplexing for me. What does this time derivative actually mean? I'm sorry this might sound like a silly question.

Think of a sine graph of current v time for alternating current.

For half of each cycle i is positive
For the other half i is negative ie going the other way.

For both positive and negative halves

Half of the time di/dt is positive and half the time di/dt is negative.

So, at the negative part of the wave where the slope is negative, is that where the current is increasing and but goes the opposite direction (intuitively, becoming more and more negative)?

That means there are different ways to interpret a di/dt or dq/dt that is negative.

Related to What does it mean to have a negative change in current?

1. What does it mean to have a negative change in current?

A negative change in current means that the current has decreased in value compared to its previous value. It indicates a decrease in the flow of electric charge through a circuit.

2. How is a negative change in current measured?

A negative change in current is measured by using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the amount of electric current flowing through a circuit. The ammeter will show a negative value when there is a decrease in current.

3. What can cause a negative change in current?

A negative change in current can be caused by several factors, including a decrease in voltage, an increase in resistance, or a change in the circuit components. It can also be caused by external factors, such as changes in temperature or humidity.

4. Is a negative change in current always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some cases, a negative change in current may be desirable, such as when trying to regulate the flow of current in a circuit. However, it can also indicate a malfunction or issue with the circuit, so it is important to investigate the cause of the negative change.

5. How can a negative change in current be corrected?

The correction of a negative change in current depends on the cause. If it is due to a decrease in voltage, increasing the voltage can help. If it is caused by an increase in resistance, reducing the resistance can correct it. In some cases, adjusting the circuit components or troubleshooting for any issues can help correct the negative change in current.