What could be causing the strange vision changes in my eyes?

• Thread starter xjoannax08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
It's not safe.In summary, the conversation discusses a person experiencing headaches, vision issues, and blurriness in their right eye. They are seeking help and advice from others. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to visit a doctor as soon as possible due to the seriousness of the symptoms.
xjoannax08
I have had headaches for goodness knows how long, but this week its has been none stop and more on my left side. Just above my eyebrow.
Yesterday I saw a weird site in my eyes, like a black and white calidiscope which moved as my eyes did. It got progressivly bigger and the middle became almost transparent with the edges becoming sharp and jagged but still the black and white moving continusly.
I gradualy fade and now I just have slight blurring in my right eye.
I am really scared as I have never heard of this before.
It wasnt in my eye I could see it quite far away.
Please can anyone help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Joanna.
Get to a bloody doctor ASAP! No one here, despite their medical degrees, is capable of nor willing to diagnose something on-line.
This sounds very significant, and it could be the result of anything from an eye disease to bad drugs to a brain tumor. Don't screw around with it.
DOCTOR, NOW, DAMMIT! THAT'S AN ORDER!

I had similar symptoms a few years ago, doctor and optometrist diagnosed it as an ocular migraine. Never had one since. Get to the doctor, and don't drive there if you've still got the symptoms.

Sometimes I think it is a bit overboard to tell people on here that they had better get to a doctor for some minor odd symptom they showed and were curious about. In this case I whole heartedly concur, you really ought to get yourself to a doctor as soon as possible and, as Brewnog noted, do not drive yourself if your vision is still impaired.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Sometimes I think it is a bit overboard to tell people on here that they had better get to a doctor for some minor odd symptom they showed and were curious about.

No it's not. As per PF rules, we do not give out medical diagnoses here.

Related to What could be causing the strange vision changes in my eyes?

1. What are the common causes of blurry vision?

Blurry vision can be caused by a variety of factors, including nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, presbyopia, and cataracts. Other possible causes include eye strain, dry eyes, diabetes, and certain medications. It is important to see an eye doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

2. Why do I see floaters in my vision?

Floaters are small, dark spots or strands that appear to float in your field of vision. They are often caused by age-related changes in the vitreous humor, the gel-like substance that fills the inside of your eye. They are usually harmless, but if you experience a sudden increase in floaters or flashes of light, it could be a sign of a retinal tear or detachment, and you should see an eye doctor immediately.

3. Can too much screen time harm my eyes?

Excessive screen time can cause eye strain, dry eyes, and headaches. It can also lead to myopia (nearsightedness) in children and young adults. To reduce eye strain, it is important to take frequent breaks, blink often, and adjust the brightness and contrast of your screen. It is also recommended to limit screen time before bedtime to avoid disruption of sleep patterns.

4. How often should I get an eye exam?

It is recommended to get a comprehensive eye exam every 1-2 years, or as recommended by your eye doctor. Regular eye exams can detect vision problems, eye diseases, and other health issues early on, when they are most treatable.

5. What should I do if I have red eyes?

Red eyes can be caused by a variety of factors, including allergies, infections, and eye fatigue. It is important to determine the underlying cause in order to receive proper treatment. You can try using artificial tears to relieve dryness, avoiding allergens or irritants, and getting enough rest. If your symptoms persist or worsen, it is best to see an eye doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.