What if I could see in radio instead of light?

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Radio
In summary, the world would appear very different if we could see it with "eyes" that detected radio wavelengths. Objects would be transparent, but also very fuzzy due to diffraction. Bright objects would include cell phones and transmitter towers, while everything else would be dark but not black. The sky would also be dark enough to see stars. Antennas would be colored like beetles or dichroic filters. We would also see reflections and shadows depending on the impedance mismatch of objects. However, our eyes would need to be a few wavelengths in diameter to make out directional information.
alan123hk said:
Without using a radio telescope, you can directly observe the radio signals emitted by distant astronomical objects with the naked eye.
I would be bathed in light from them, but I do not think they could be resolved as distinct objects.

Physics news on Phys.org
If were able to see radio waves, all humans would glow brightly. The human body is an excellent receiver and transmitter of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, which are present everywhere on Earth...and beyond. A practical example is to touch an AM radio antenna and hear the sound get louder. Another example is creating a static spark with a finger can be heard nearby on an AM radio.

It has been said that if you have a radiation detector and want to measure the radiation in a room, simply measure the humans. There is a scientific paper showing human forehead temperature as a practical way of measuring 5G signal strength.

mrfixitrick said:
If were able to see radio waves, all humans would glow brightly. The human body is an excellent receiver and transmitter of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, which are present everywhere on Earth...and beyond. A practical example is to touch an AM radio antenna and hear the sound get louder. Another example is creating a static spark with a finger can be heard nearby on an AM radio.
Sorry. That simply means that humans won't be darker than the background diffuse grey. They certainly won't be brighter.

DaveC426913 said:
I would be bathed in light from them, but I do not think they could be resolved as distinct objects
But one thing is certain. You can't live close to radio stations. Even cities where cell phone base transceiver stations are everywhere nowadays may have a great impact on you, because even those powerful radios will not hurt your eyes. It may prevent you from falling asleep.

But one way is to wear a eye mask that can block the radio while sleeping.

Last edited:
alan123hk said:
But one thing is certain. You can't live close to radio stations. Even cities where cell phone base transceiver stations are everywhere nowadays may have a great impact on you, because even those powerful radios will not hurt your eyes. It may prevent you from falling asleep.

But one way is to wear a eye mask that can block the radio while sleeping.
Oh very good point! Your eye lids* are transparent!

*over your metre-diameter aluminium mesh eyeballs

Likes Nik_2213